Will this new kitten cause problems?

sassea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have Ruby and Abby. 8yr old adults.
Ruby IBD and sometimes gets upset and goes poop not in the box. Abby has poor sight, but she would love anything I bring home.
There are Ferril cats where I work that residents feed. A two-month-old has a stub hind leg.
I have thought a couple times to grab him but I'm afraid that it would just make Ruby upset as she is already the sensitive one. She panics if supper is late and will let her sister bully her to make up for when they were younger. I make sure to pet her a lot and whisper she's the special one, lol. I have to put a tarp over the bed to keep the blankets safe when I'm at work.
The Ferril one could have a rough life so I wonder about bringing him home to be indoor cat?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
FeraIs of that age usuaIIy adjust fairIy quickIy. And I have never known an aduIt cat who wouId attack a kitten of that age...aIthough they wiII hiss, swat, and pin one down when the IittIe upstart doesn't mind his manners. Just speaking for myseIf, I wouId at ieast attempt this. With his hind Ieg, he's IikeIy to have a short, miserabIe Iife. If nothing eIse, there's a good chance you couId sociaIize him weII enough to go to another home if Ruby cannot Iearn to get aIong with him.

Take a Iook at these articIes. They may heIp!
The 5 Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside - TheCatSite
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat [A Guide] - TheCatSite
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide - TheCatSite

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
8 year olds are often hard to introduce a new kitten too, but as Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 noted, they will not hurt the kitten. Rather, they will just be upset, and the introduction will take time. As much as you have some negatives, with the residents age and health, the fact that the kitten is not highly mobile is actually a significant plus. Senior cats do better with kittens that dont constantly bug them and chase after them. All in all, its not an easy introduction, you might have some stress for a while, but it should be doable. Moreover, as Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 noted, this is a kitten that wont survive in the wild. If worst comes to worst, and you just cant make the introduction work, you can likely find a home for the kitten. So I'd absolutely give it a whirl.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sassea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He literally bit the hand that feeds him.
Not a warning, it was a bite down draw blood. I had asked her to take a couple days to try and be closer with him.
I'm afraid this cat won't be saved. I believe his hind leg was not a birth defect now. Girl said that it was abscessed and had a rough spot like end of bone. Would cost too much and he does not want to be social with humans.
I do not like this at all and I can't just shoot to end his situation.
Nothing is right about this now.
Sorry.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You tried. It is aII you can do. Many wouId not have. Thank you for caring about this IittIe guy.

sassea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't stop thinking about this cat. I'm not sure what cost would be for the leg. The abscess seems to have cleared on it's own. I know it still needs attention if the bone was damaged so it can all heal good.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't stop thinking about this cat. I'm not sure what cost would be for the leg. The abscess seems to have cleared on it's own. I know it still needs attention if the bone was damaged so it can all heal good.
Is there a group in your area that can help? Cats can be aggressive when in pain.

sassea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Slow process. I have been sharing cheese with the little gray cat. The others know I am not giving them this treat so they stay back for the most part. A piece at a time from opposite side of Safety fence. She actually touched my fingers yesterday, well reached for the cheese with her toes to get it out of my fingers. Today we have 6" of snow so they are all in their tote apartments with a tarp over them. Just trying to see if she will warm up to me if there is any chance to become an indoor cat.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I was reading your other thread and I understand you alread have bathroom issues with your current cats. I really don't think introducing a third cat into the mix is a good idea until the bathroom issues are fixed.

Stress can make bathroom issues even worse. Is there someone else who could take this cat in, at least until the bathroom issue gets resolved?

sassea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been concerned about the bathroom issue. Partial behavior and partial IBD issues.
I have found no solutions for the kitten. We are not sure yet what the problem with the hind leg is. Nobody is going to spend $$$$ on a feral that we are not sure if it will accept living with people. I shared smokey links with her today and she would not come as close. It is difficult for her in the snow. The shelter we have talked with is an hour drive and I can't just take off.
I also have to make Ruby priority as she is a current resident.
I am not happy.

sassea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am sorry if I seem negative. I have not given up on this feral girl. I have found a couple other possible sources to check.