Will this ever stop? @.@

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been suffering from some major jet lag since I got back from Japan... wiped out by 11pm, wide awake at 4AM, wiped out by noon, dragging self out of bed around 2 because I don't want to sleep TOO long... rinse and repeat.

At least Peanut has been my constant companion- when I sleep, he sleeps. When I'm awake, he's awake- or sleeping in my office while I'm on the computer.
He's such a good baby!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

The last time i went to the US it took me a good month to get back to normal
I sure hope it doesn't take that long...

DH's alarm just went off and Peanut went trotting down the hall, ever hopeful that SOMEONE will feed him... even though it's not time for an hour yet!

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea it takes me about a month when I go overseas as well...Jetlag sucks!! It didn't affect me as much when I was younger, but now it's like I have to fight to stay awake, coffee doesn't work nothing works

Sometimes it helps if you have to be at work or somewhere....

elayman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by orangeishcat

I have been suffering from some major jet lag since I got back from Japan... wiped out by 11pm, wide awake at 4AM, wiped out by noon, dragging self out of bed around 2 because I don't want to sleep TOO long... rinse and repeat.

At least Peanut has been my constant companion- when I sleep, he sleeps. When I'm awake, he's awake- or sleeping in my office while I'm on the computer.
He's such a good baby!
I go to Japan 2-3 times a year and coming back takes at least 2 weeks each time. A day for each time zone crossed is the general rule. The only positive is that it it is MUCH easier to get used to when you travel forward in time so that you aren't paying to be sick in a hotel. It also helps to live with someone who gives 24-hour service and dining so that just in case your sleeping hours and stomach still functions based on Tokyo time, you can still enjoy rest and food.
My bf can only give moral support from Japan...

Do you have Melatonin or sleeping pills ? It's only halfway effective, but at least you'll have a fighting chance to sleep as much as possible and avoid staying awake for the first few days.
Ideally without any critical meetings of work or hardcore scheduling to deal with.

Or in other words, no you don't get used to the jet-lag, it doesn't get any easier every time you cross that ocean, you just grow more tired and need more time to recuperate (also with increasing age, unfortunately).

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
husbands family crosses very often and have heard them mention benadryl on other hand I am on a medicine I have heard them use for this-modafinil-its a stimulant but in me not that jumpy cant do a darn thing type! May be worth a call in to drs to see if anything can be given or advised of(rx and otc)

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last time Gary came back from China he took some sort of sleeping meds on the plane ride over, and slept the entire flight, and then came home and actually went to bed at a normal time! He claimed it helped a lot.... We will find out when he goes to Japan in a few weeks and only stays for a few days... not looking forward to that!

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
From what y'all are saying it seems like I need to do something to knock myself out at night... maybe some Tylenol PM or good ol' Benadryl- I think I have some somewhere!- will do the trick.

For now... I am in dire need of a nap!

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The more you do it, the more accustomed to it you become.

I remember when I first started my night shift, it was murder.

A week later, it didn't really matter when I woke or slept, as long as I got a good 7 hours in at some point.

Now on my three day night shift I'm awake nights, and then I just take a short nap on my transition day so I'm sleepy by 10PM and then switch to days, and back again for nights. The other cool thing is that you learn to ignore day/night hours so I can sleep in broad daylight w/o an issue, which back in highschool I recall even the dim streetlight used to bother me so I blacked out my window w/ thick three layer curtains.

IMO its just like getting your sea legs, the human body will adapt to just about anything.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh, I hope you get adjusted soon!

On a somewhat related note, can you please ship Peanut out for a few days to give Holland some pointers? She loves to head-butt me awake around 3 in the morning because she wants cuddles...

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was going to ask if you tried melatonin too. My BFF lived in Japan for 4 years and came back several times with her little ones. It was hard on even them! They moved back last year and it was even harder that time to get both on their new time schedule. I think she did eventually try the melatonin. It was highly recommended by a lot of her military-mom friends who had gone through that kind of move also.

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mystik Spiral

Ugh, I hope you get adjusted soon!

On a somewhat related note, can you please ship Peanut out for a few days to give Holland some pointers? She loves to head-butt me awake around 3 in the morning because she wants cuddles...
I'm not sure that will help too very much... because he's awake at 5:30 begging for food!
The catch is that lately I've been awake, too.

Today I went to sleep at 2PM and woke up at 11PM... I'm not sure this is helping any... gah. Melatonin, you say? Where would one acquire such a thing? Walgreens?