Will they ever get along?

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We've had HollyHeart now since January. Sneaky really didn't like her at first. Then she seemed to "tolerate" her. Now all she does is hiss whenever HollyHeart gets in her way. (btw they're both spayed girls)

For example, I had let both animals in. Sneaky came in, laid on the kitchen floor. Holly walked by and Sneaky growled. I tried to pet her and Sneaky growled. Holly got up on the sofa and Sneaky growled.

Holly tries to brush Sneaky (I guess Holly wants Sneaky as her BFF) and
Sneaky growls.

Maybe Sneaky's mad b/c the other kitty has taken her territory? And they're still trying to work out the whole alpha cat thing? She used to sleep on our bed, and now it's a war zone if one is on the bed, and the other one tries to get up.

No peeing or pooping problems. I've got 2 litter boxes, but sometimes Sneaky will use the one in the house rather than going out into the garage (which is where "her" box is).

BTW- we did have another cat before Holly, and Sneaky got along with him fine. There was never growling when the other one was in the same room.

I don't know. I'm just kind of tired of having a "happy" cat, and one that's a grump more than half the time.

Cheryl

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I honestly can't tell you they will ever get along or be friends, but if they at least tolerate each other you're ahead.
Girls can be this way, much more than many boys are - it happens between female dogs, too.

All I can suggest is to just give it time and try the typical suggestions of feliway diffusers and rescue remedy (if anyone gets too worked up). Make sure there's plenty of high perches so that they don't have to fight over them - ie, two trees instead of one.

You may consider adding an extra box in the house, just in case.

One thing I do with mine when they fuss at each other - if they're both on the bed/couch/table then both cats are made to get down. Our bed is very much a neutral area. The cats either get along on it or they're not allowed up there.

pat traufield

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The initial goal of cat intros is tolerance. True friendship can take up to a year.

One thing you can do is get Sneaky to associate good things with Hollyheart. Whatever Sneaky's very very favorite treat is - give that to her only if Hollyheart is in sight.

girlsetsfiyah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel, I'm having the exact same problem right now! Laz is growling whenever Soleil walks by him, is near him, looks at him, etc. But now he's also taking it out on Jubbs whenever he walks by as well. There's been no big scraps, a few chases ending in hissing, growling, and yelling, no inappropriate pee/poop, he's just become a total jerk! I still keep Soleil seperated when no one is home, and do time outs in seperate rooms when there's a hissing match. I have one feliway diffuser, and a prescription for clomicalm for him. The diffuser does nothing to help, and I haven't tried the meds yet, as I'm hoping he will calm down, and dont really want to try that drug. Should I get another diffuser? I hate seeing him like this, he was a great guy and got along wonderfully with Jubbs before this.