Will the ringworm win?

Softmeows

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am fostering 11 six-weeks old kittens and their moms, and all of them turned out to have ringworm. But here is the kicker: I have took them to vet, bought a super expensive medicated shampoo with miconasol in it (Rx), and was prescribed to wash them all twice a week for 4 weeks without any success so far. The shampoo makers clearly did not think it through, as it requires a wet cat to wait 10 whole minutes with the shampoo on before rinsing. So far, we can manage 4-5 min max. I washed them three times so far which causes them a lot of stress, plus applied medicated foam on their spots. I also have the light that shows where the ringworm is.
I have been sanitizing the floors, their bedding, etc.
Is it normal for the ringworm to get worse before it gets better? Some kittens and mom have developed many more bold spots around their faces, and especially around their eye lids, ears and mouth which are delicate areas and are hard to reach. Some of the kittens look pretty sad to be honest with the ringworm splotches on their faces :bawling: and it makes me feel discouraged. I feel that I am somehow making it worse. The vet can't prescribe pills for the kittens as they are too young. Is lime sulfur dip more effective than the medicated miconazole shampoo? Would it be worth trying it and can they even get better without meds, or will the ringworm win and the kittens perish?

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's been over 25 years since I saw ringworm in kittens (and also got it myself from handling them!), but IIRC we used desenex spray, but that was back in the 90's so who knows if it's got the same ingredients or is still safe. I remember we would "microdose", put the spray on several times a day vs. a few times a week and I don't remember ever having a kitten that didn't clear up (along with my poor affected arm and hands!) I'd ask your vet about it. I hope they clear up, ringworm fungus is frustrating!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Softmeows

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's been over 25 years since I saw ringworm in kittens (and also got it myself from handling them!), but IIRC we used desenex spray, but that was back in the 90's so who knows if it's got the same ingredients or is still safe. I remember we would "microdose", put the spray on several times a day vs. a few times a week and I don't remember ever having a kitten that didn't clear up (along with my poor affected arm and hands!) I'd ask your vet about it. I hope they clear up, ringworm fungus is frustrating!
Thank you, what throws me off is that the ringworm looks worse now after I have been shampooing them. Like it spread or something, and went for the face now. I do not see any improvement whatsoever.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you, what throws me off is that the ringworm looks worse now after I have been shampooing them. Like it spread or something, and went for the face now. I do not see any improvement whatsoever.
:( Are you taking photos of the kittens so you can compare to see if there are minor improvements elsewhere on the body, legs, tails?