Will shaving a longhaired cat's fur make it better?

iamailurophilic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So i have a longhaired cat and she has a lot of yellowish stains around her ear,which i suspect, is from her previous earmite treatment...i am wondering, if we let a groomer shave her the stain will be removed right? And also, will shaving a cat's fur improve the quality of the fur when it grow back?

Ps. Another reason i want to shave my cat is because i live in the philippines and its so hot in here since summer has officially begun

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
As a general rule groomers do not shave the head area, so I'm not sure that would take care of the staining. My only experience is with shorthair cats. When my kitty had his neck shaved for surgery it took 4-5 months for it to grow back completely. Longhairs may take longer. In any case, I can't tell any difference between the fur where it was shaved and where it wasn't shaved.

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Shaving your cat around the head area is likely to cause her a lot of distress you may be better off trying to bathe her first! Shaving her body though if it is hot where you are sounds like a wise option she will probably thank you for it :)

spiffykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The areas of a cat's body with the thinnest skin are the stomach, the armpits and the ears.  I am a house call cat groomer. I would not shave the area around a cat's ear because of the risk of cutting the skin. You don't want to have to take your cat to the veterinarian to get stitches.

A better idea would be to hire a professional cat groomer -- someone who grooms cats frequently, not someone who grooms them once every few months.  The groomer can give your cat a bath using a degreaser, then shampoo your cat, and lastly will blow dry your cat to get the dead/shedding fur out.  The bath may help wash out the stains.  The groomer can thoroughly brush your cat, and if necessary, shave out any little mats that may be in the fur.