Will Segregation Cause Behavior Problems?

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's come to the point that we need to lock Snickers up during daycare hours because he's nipped the little ones too many times. I'm setting up the basement family room for him with food, water, litter box, blankets and toys. He'll be down there from about 7:30-5:30 M-F. Is there anything else he'll need? Could this cause more behavior problems? I'd rather not lock him up because he can be really sweet, but he won't stay out of the daycare area and is too unpredictable to have around the kids. We have tried the pheromone collar and have a Feliway diffuser. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am wondering if you've had him checked by a vet just to be sure he's ok. Can a vet prescribe kitty Prozac--im not sure about that here though? Are the little ones pulling his tail and that sort of thing? I'm not clear what is causing the nipping. Anyway, I can't think of anything else he'll need and he should be fine, but every cat is different. Keep an eye on him. He sounds like a sociable cat and, you're right, might not like being away from all the activity.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply Furballsmom Furballsmom . He went to the vet in November and everything was fine. He's been a nipper his whole life, it's his way of getting our attention. We try to play with him but he's not into toys, even the laser pointer, and we give him lots of cuddles when we can too. I can call and ask about Prozac but I don't know if it'll help since the pheromone collar didn't make a difference.