Will My Preganant Feral Come Back?

Skylsters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So the semi feral cat ive been feeding wasnt fixed like i thought she was, i thought her ear was tipped but it turns out its more likely from a fight. I trapped her friday to take her in to the vet to see if she was indeed pregnant. The vet said she was due to have kittens any day now, so we decided not to spay at that moment. It is now sunday night and ever since i let her out of the trap she has not been spotted since. Do you think that i scared her or that she just went somewhere to hide and have her kittens? Either way im concerned because i know she must be very hungry. I had plans to bring her and her kittens inside until she and kittens could be fixed and homed.

Ladysnuggable

Mother of Cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its a possibility that she had her litter and she wont show up for a few days continue to put her favorite food out to draw her. After having the litter she will be needing all the nutrients! if you are lucky you can find her litter and bring her and them inside or wait till they are old enough to start wandering and trap them.
We have a feral momma at my work I was planning the same thing then didnt see her for a few days. next time i saw her she was a skinny minney. She did come around though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Skylsters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She came back tonight! She was more skittish then usual, use to love when i pet her but wouldnt even come close to me today. Still pregnant.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you get her back inside somehow in a spare room or bathroom or something? It is going to be hard to care for her and her babies outside, not to mention unsafe. Plus she can get pregnant again very quickly after having the babies.

Skylsters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im working on it. Trying to figure out the logistics still. My plan is to get a pack n play and maybe put her in the bathroom. Im just concerned because of my resident make cat (he is neutered) is territorial and i dont want him to start acting out. Shes so skittish right now though there is no way i can get her in, she wont go in the trap and is now scared of me.

Skylsters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im working on it. Trying to figure out the logistics still. My plan is to get a pack n play and maybe put her in the bathroom. Im just concerned because of my resident make cat (he is neutered) is territorial and i dont want him to start acting out. Shes so skittish right now though there is no way i can get her in, she wont go in the trap and is now scared of me.

Skylsters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In addition: i provided her a box with some old blankets on my porch hoping she will have her kittens in there and then i can just move the entire box inside.

rescue53

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awesome!! I hope you can lure her inside :D
If you end up having to search for babies, discreetly track mom after she eats and if you find them put them in a closed carrier directly behind the trap. Usually mom will go in when the babies are little. Set up a large dog crate inside and cover it so she knows she is safe.that should buy a couple weeks to make a plan before the babes are really moving alot

Ladysnuggable

Mother of Cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you end up having to search for babies, discreetly track mom after she eats and if you find them put them in a closed carrier directly behind the trap. Usually mom will go in when the babies are little. Set up a large dog crate inside and cover it so she knows she is safe.that should buy a couple weeks to make a plan before the babes are really moving alot
Trailing works good i tried this with my momma cat at work i know where she had them I just cant get to them. Poison ivy and spoke plants!

Skylsters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: she showed up monday night but has not been spotted since. I have food in two places out for her plus a small dog house in the backyard and a box on the porch behind a bush next to her food bowl. Going to get a crate for her today, but im really hoping i didnt traumatize her too much by taking her in to the vet.

Skylsters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: From the looks of it she definitely had her kittens, they would be about a week old but there has been no sign of them. Mom still comes twice a day to eat, i tried to follow her but i lost her when she went to thr neighbors yard, i already told them to be on the look out. But today she finally let me pet her and it doesnt feel like shes been feeding any kittens.

love67742

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It could be either one. Once I was trying to catch 2 of my half feral cats to get fixed. I ended up only catching one and the other got away. I thought he'd come back the next day but I've never seen him since :(. But she could have also just had her kittens. My cat had kittens and i didn't see her for a while. After a week or so she came back.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s so hard to know. Keep feeding her and time will tell.

Skylsters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well mama cat showed up with 5 kittens yesterday on my porch. That makes them to be about 4-5 weeks old, few questions: they are starting to taste wet food and i want them to be social should i wait to separate them from mom? Can i spay mom now?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you bring them all inside? I would not separate them yet. Mom can be spayed in about 2 weeks.

How well are the kittens eating?

Skylsters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yea i can bring them all inside they are all friendly and they let me hold them and mom has no issue with me holding them. Ive been watering down wetfood so its very liquidy and i give it to them twice a day and from what i see 2 of them will come out and eat but i leave it out there so i dont know if the others come out after i leave.

Skylsters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I alsp want tp add they are still trying to nurse but mom (who ive named Pancakes) is starting to be a bit hesitant and today she kept walking away when one of them tried but she did give up and let them nurse.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please bring them all inside and don’t allow them out again! Mom for sure needs to stay in until she is spayed.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are they inside now?

If mom is weaning them, she can be spayed NOW.

The kittens need to eat small amounts 4-6 times a day.