Will My Kitten Be Long/medium Haired Or Short Haired?

Letarose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I recently adopted a kitten at 4 months of age. I’ve had short haired cats in the past but never long/medium haired. My kitten Jack has some pretty noticeable ear furnishings, and appears to have some floof on the hindquarters as well but it may just be baby hair...

Will he perhaps grow to be long/medium haired, or remain short haired? What do you all think? :) and thanks!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Letarose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you verna davies, he may be. I hadn’t thought of that really, and it would explain the texture of his coat. Either way, I can’t wait to find out over the next couple of months :)

Letarose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: I was wondering about his tail fur lately. Jack is 4 and a half months old, and his tail fur as well as the fur on his hindquarters doesn’t seem to be shortening. If anything, it’s texture is whispy. Do kittens lose this fur later on? Is this baby fluff perhaps?

Attachments

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Update: I was wondering about his tail fur lately. Jack is 4 and a half months old, and his tail fur as well as the fur on his hindquarters doesn’t seem to be shortening. If anything, it’s texture is whispy. Do kittens lose this fur later on? Is this baby fluff perhaps?

he's gonna be a medium hair I think looking at that tail. can you get a pic showing him walking, like in profile? hard to tell, but I think he may have a maine coon ancestor in there somewhere.

Letarose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
he's gonna be a medium hair I think looking at that tail. can you get a pic showing him walking, like in profile? hard to tell, but I think he may have a maine coon ancestor in there somewhere.
I have found it to be incredibly difficult to catch his profile while he's standing! He's always on the move. Hopefully these suffice?

Attachments

Letarose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sure, will do. I'm curious to see how his coat develops, and hopefully it can provide some reference to other cat parents - especially if his coat grows out! I appreciate you help and input. Thank you thefiresidecat.

Letarose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update:
Seems like the guess of medium fur is beginning to get more of a confirmation!

Looks like the start of toe tufts? Either way, Jack's got an explosion of hair between his pads now. Also his tail is getting thicker by the day.

Attachments

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I recently adopted a kitten at 4 months of age. I’ve had short haired cats in the past but never long/medium haired. My kitten Jack has some pretty noticeable ear furnishings, and appears to have some floof on the hindquarters as well but it may just be baby hair...

Will he perhaps grow to be long/medium haired, or remain short haired? What do you all think? :) and thanks!
He looks like a Bengal cat. :)