Will my kitten be back,

nital

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello all, 

we found a very young kitten some time ago, and brought it back to keep as a pet. Its mom left it or was killed. she was young even her eyes were recently open and we had to clean them from what was left. she is now just more than 2 months (since she was with us). We kept her out side in the yard. as she was young, she did not leave the yard, she stayed around the house. Until recently she started to risk going out side, once i found her out, so I grabbed her and lifted her, I went to the gate, stood outside and gave her an angry face and said No, then went into the yard and smiled and kept petting her. Then some time ago, as I was entering the car port, I saw her running from outside and I nearly run over her, so when I parked I lifted her up and gave her a smack on her bottom (I Know, it's wrong and should not have done it, but I was very angry and it just happened). Then after couple of days, I did not find her in the yard, I went up the street, and I saw her running, I called on her and she ran away. I left her and went back home, then at mean time, she came back, so I was very upset with her and picked her up, went to the gate and gave her a hard smack on her bottom, she was in pain but not hurt (like blood or anything broken). Then I let her go, she went running. (I know it was wrong and I regret it, but it is done. Please don't go off on me for doing that. I will not do it again). Anyway, she did not return back and I did not see her for the next couple of days. Then I went up the street and saw her, I picked her up and broght her back to the yard, I feed her and kept petting her, at the start she did not want to stay with me, then it was ok, she stayed with me, the next days she left in the morning but she returned in the evening, I kept petting her and fed her, she came to stay in my lap. So I though that she is ok with that.Two nights ago, I cleaned around her mouth as she has Feline Acne, she felt a bit of discomfort, but i pet her good after I cleaned her and fed her well after that. But now she keeps leaving and yesterday she did not come back at night. Today morning, I went up the street to where i saw and she run away when i called her. Now first, please don't go off on my hitting her, as I said I was angry and I will not do it again. Secondly, I want to know if she will return or that is? and how can I train her to stay in the yard. She does not have any street smarts, you may call it, so I'm worried that she will suffer. I appreciate all your positive comments. thanks,

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nital

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

hello all, 

we found a very young kitten some time ago, and brought it back to keep as a pet. Its mom left it or was killed. she was young even her eyes were recently open and we had to clean them from what was left. she is now just more than 2 months (since she was with us). We kept her out side in the yard. as she was young, she did not leave the yard, she stayed around the house. Until recently she started to risk going out side, once i found her out, so I grabbed her and lifted her, I went to the gate, stood outside and gave her an angry face and said No, then went into the yard and smiled and kept petting her. Then some time ago, as I was entering the car port, I saw her running from outside and I nearly run over her, so when I parked I lifted her up and gave her a smack on her bottom (I Know, it's wrong and should not have done it, but I was very angry and it just happened). Then after couple of days, I did not find her in the yard, I went up the street, and I saw her running, I called on her and she ran away. I left her and went back home, then at mean time, she came back, so I was very upset with her and picked her up, went to the gate and gave her a hard smack on her bottom, she was in pain but not hurt (like blood or anything broken). Then I let her go, she went running. (I know it was wrong and I regret it, but it is done. Please don't go off on me for doing that. I will not do it again). Anyway, she did not return back and I did not see her for the next couple of days. Then I went up the street and saw her, I picked her up and broght her back to the yard, I feed her and kept petting her, at the start she did not want to stay with me, then it was ok, she stayed with me, the next days she left in the morning but she returned in the evening, I kept petting her and fed her, she came to stay in my lap. So I though that she is ok with that.Two nights ago, I cleaned around her mouth as she has Feline Acne, she felt a bit of discomfort, but i pet her good after I cleaned her and fed her well after that. But now she keeps leaving and yesterday she did not come back at night. Today morning, I went up the street to where i saw and she run away when i called her. Now first, please don't go off on my hitting her, as I said I was angry and I will not do it again. Secondly, I want to know if she will return or that is? and how can I train her to stay in the yard. She does not have any street smarts, you may call it, so I'm worried that she will suffer. I appreciate all your positive comments. thanks,
I forgot to add, that after the next hit, i felt that she lost some of her playfulness with me, she did play as before, could that be because she does not trust me or is that part of growing up? thank all.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
To her, you're the nasty person who inflicted physical pain for reasons she can't understand, so why would she trust you, come home or want to play with you?

You can try bribing her with treats, toys and soft words, but it's going to take a lot of work to regain her trust. The only way to keep a cat safely in your yard is to train her to only go out with you in a harness & leash combo, make an enclosure (catio), or put up a cat-proof fence. Some cats do stick close to their house, but that's a question of their nature, not training.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are not submissive and do not live to please humans like dogs, so do not respond to training like a dog would. Physical punishment to a cat just brings terror and mistrust. The only way to keep a cat in the yard is to pen it, or as advised above, put up a cat proof fence that folds the top into the yard so the cat can't climb over. the older she gets, the more she will want to roam. I thank you for caring for her, but she really needs an inside home. I care for several outside cats that were dumped and it pains me to think that one day I will most likely find them in the street, but at least I feed and love them, there is nothing more I can do, they come and go as they please.  Take care and just know it will take patience and kindness to regain her trust, but she WILL come around again!

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK this is normal kitten behavior to run off and explore.  Is she fixed yet?  How old is she?  You've had her for 2 months but how old was she when you brought her in to live with you?  Cats start going through puberty at about 4 or 5 months old.  She could be in heat.  If she mates, she will most likely get pregnant.  You can still have her fixed really early in a pregnancy.  But I would be making plans to get her spayed as quickly as possible.  That is more than likely what is happening and her sudden NEED to run off could be about.  

As for the anger and swatting her... It happens.  We are only human.  Cats forgive us.  They do.  Do not worry.  Get her fixed and keep her in for at least a month.  More than likely, her urges to run away will decrease dramatically so you won't need  to make her an indoor/outdoor cat.  Which will increase her lifespan and safety 200%. 

You can bribe her, cats love bribes.  She will be your friend again in no time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nital

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks all for your comments, if she does not come back, then its up to her, she will have to fed for her self...... if she comes back then she will have someone to feed her.... 

nothing i can do i guess. 

thanks again for your comments,