Will My Cat's Whiskers Ever Fully Grow Back?

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So abouuuut 1/half month ago I rehomed a little dude who's 6 years old. Fester is a pretty huge persian cat (15lbs is pretty big for the breed I think) and that is without hair! They shaved him right before I got him so I can slowly reintroduce him to combing. Which is great cause he is a strong guy. I can't hold him down so he has to learn to cooperate!

Anyway, here's the thing: he got shaved, but his face also got a heavy trim. I really hate that they did this but when I asked them about it it seemed like they did it out of ignorance; they didn't know any better. His whiskers are slowly starting to grow back in but they look very off. I need someone who's got experience with this to say if they will ever look a bit natural again?

And more importantly so, how long will it take for them to be fully grown back? He's a little bit of an insecure cat and I'm sure part of that is his whiskers being so short. I want him to feel better!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Every cat is different but I think based on my boy's loss of whiskers, maybe a couple of months?
I don't know, you could guestimate by how long they are now...

Try gently and only briefly at first running the conb or brush down his side when he's asleep or nearly so. Then increase the brush strokes, --this could take time. I don't recall how long it took my Big Guy to accept it but it was a while, and there are still some days where I have an allotted window of time LOL

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aw thanks so much Amethyst thats a really clear answer and just what I wanted to hear! I was hoping it would be faster but that sounds fair. Thanks!

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! Every cat is different but I think based on my boy's loss of whiskers, maybe a couple of months?
I don't know, you could guestimate by how long they are now...

Try gently and only briefly at first running the conb or brush down his side when he's asleep or nearly so. Then increase the brush strokes, --this could take time. I don't recall how long it took my Big Guy to accept it but it was a while, and there are still some days where I have an allotted window of time LOL
Sorry didn't see your reply. So rude of me :cloudy:! I do try to catch him with the brushing when he's sleeping or relaxing, plus he loves to be combed around his face and on the sides- but he won't let me get to his back legs yet without leaving. My other cat doesn't like the combing of her back legs and tail either, understandable, I wouldnt want someone combing me back there either LOL but it needs to be done. Its gonna take time but we'll get there. I'm patient and expierenced with the combing which is why he got placed with me :thumbsup: Thanks for your suggestion!

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As everyone else said, a couple of months! I had a sweet little kitten when I was younger who had her whiskers literally ripped from her face by some nutty pre-teen. (who quickly ended up in jail for other charges) :fuming: It took about 3-4 months for her whiskers to look pretty normal again. Her temperament however, never did come back. She was frightened of everyone and would only come out to lie on my chest when she thought I was sound asleep. Educate people, cat whiskers are sensitive!

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As everyone else said, a couple of months! I had a sweet little kitten when I was younger who had her whiskers literally ripped from her face by some nutty pre-teen. (who quickly ended up in jail for other charges) :fuming: It took about 3-4 months for her whiskers to look pretty normal again. Her temperament however, never did come back. She was frightened of everyone and would only come out to lie on my chest when she thought I was sound asleep. Educate people, cat whiskers are sensitive!
oh my gosh what an awful story. so sorry for your kitty; hope not a single cat will will ever again have to go through that :/