Will my cat remember me when I go to college?

catluvr415

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm going out of state to college this fall, and I was wondering if my cat would remember me after 2-2 1/2 months of being apart. He's been with me for almost 3 years, and he sleeps with me every night. He's pretty shy, though, so I'm worried about how he'll react when I come home for breaks.

Any advice is appreciated!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Start transitioning his care to one of the members of your household that will be there for him while you are gone. They need to work beside you while you care for him, then start to do the care for him while you watch beside them, and then let them start doing all of his care on their own.

You can leave unwashed, worn clothes of yours behind for him to sit on/sleep with, and maybe even send some 'new' unwashed, worn clothes during the time you are gone. Consider things like Skype/Zoom while you are away so that he can at least hear your voice, if not see you as well.

Will another member let him sleep with them in your absence? The thing is to make sure he feels as if he has a reliable and loving care taker in your absence. Even if it turns out that they are 'his person' when you return, that is better for him for in the long run. You can always take your spot back when you have returned.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, your cat will remember you :grouphug: In your absence your cat may bond with another family member. When you go home for breaks, your cat will act like you've never left at all.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my first cat, "K.C." when I was in college. After the second year, I had to move to a place where pets weren't allowed and K.C. had to move in with my family to live at home.

I would often call home and talk to K.C. by telephone. He would meow and nuzzle the phone just like I was actually there.

So, yes! I think your cat will remember! :)

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitty will remember <3 Two summers ago, I left for a summer job and was gone for 2 months. My first day back, Isabelle was very cuddly. I was worried of the same thing and was nervous when first walking through the door. I had found Isabelle on my mom's bed and she just stared at me when I walked in. I went over, hugging her, and petting her. She didn't seem to react that much, but later that day she was very snugly and following me around everywhere <3

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
When one of our daughters moved across the country for a new job she only came home once a year to visit but itwas as if she never left. Our cat, Carleton, couldn't wait to snuggle with her and lay beside her on the sofa. :catlove: So, yes, your cat will most definitely remember you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catluvr415

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Start transitioning his care to one of the members of your household that will be there for him while you are gone. They need to work beside you while you care for him, then start to do the care for him while you watch beside them, and then let them start doing all of his care on their own.

You can leave unwashed, worn clothes of yours behind for him to sit on/sleep with, and maybe even send some 'new' unwashed, worn clothes during the time you are gone. Consider things like Skype/Zoom while you are away so that he can at least hear your voice, if not see you as well.

Will another member let him sleep with them in your absence? The thing is to make sure he feels as if he has a reliable and loving care taker in your absence. Even if it turns out that they are 'his person' when you return, that is better for him for in the long run. You can always take your spot back when you have returned.
Yes, I have family at home who will take care of him and let him sleep with them. Thank you for your advice!

catluvr415

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got my first cat, "K.C." when I was in college. After the second year, I had to move to a place where pets weren't allowed and K.C. had to move in with my family to live at home.

I would often call home and talk to K.C. by telephone. He would meow and nuzzle the phone just like I was actually there.

So, yes! I think your cat will remember! :)
That's adorable!! :)

catluvr415

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kitty will remember <3 Two summers ago, I left for a summer job and was gone for 2 months. My first day back, Isabelle was very cuddly. I was worried of the same thing and was nervous when first walking through the door. I had found Isabelle on my mom's bed and she just stared at me when I walked in. I went over, hugging her, and petting her. She didn't seem to react that much, but later that day she was very snugly and following me around everywhere <3
That makes me feel so much better! Thank you!