Will My Cat Forget Me?

Scribblzlb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 3-4 month old Ragdoll, her name is Tao (my profile picture is her), and I am really worrying that she will forget about me after I go away. I am going away, next March, for a year on student exchange to China and I don't wan't her to forget me. I have had her since she was 7-8 weeks old. Is that long enough for her to know that I am her mummy?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome to the site. She might be a bit distant at first but the two of you will soon reconnect. Cats disappear for months on end and then suddenly reappear at their home and settle back in. Spend lots of time playing with her before you go and leave some article of clothing that you have worn and has your smell on. Also handle some of her toys, your smell will be all over the house as a memory trigger. Enjoy your experience in China.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s good news that she will be in your home and with items that smell like you! Be sure to leave her some blankets and shirts that especially have your scent.

Will she be spayed and up to date on vaccinations before you go?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could also mail an article of clothing back home once a month.

She won't forget you. My family cats growing up always remembered family members.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I moved out, Mally my last childhood cat that was still alive always remembered me when I came home to visit. He would come running and jump in my lap. He was a very special cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Scribblzlb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi and welcome to the site. She might be a bit distant at first but the two of you will soon reconnect. Cats disappear for months on end and then suddenly reappear at their home and settle back in. Spend lots of time playing with her before you go and leave some article of clothing that you have worn and has your smell on. Also handle some of her toys, your smell will be all over the house as a memory trigger. Enjoy your experience in China.
Thank you so much!!! That makes me feel a lot better. I will :)

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat seems to always remember people who have been at the house before. She comes up to people she's seen before, but stays away from newcomers. How long that can last? I don't know, but you certainly can reconnect with her when you're back. Enjoy your year abroad!

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think she'll forget you. My cats remember family members and friends that they don't see very often, so she'll surely remember her owner.