Will my cat forget me if I leave for almost a year?

skyhoney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm new to this site so please let me know if I do anything wrong in this thread- but anyway, next year I'm going to boarding school and will be away from home for majority of the year. I have 4 cats, all of which I love dearly and I believe they love me as well- but I'm worried they may forget me when I come back, or at least may not be as fond of me and act like they used to around me. Will my cats forget me if I'm away for a long time? I don't know what I'd do if they don't love me anymore :(

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm new to this site so please let me know if I do anything wrong in this thread- but anyway, next year I'm going to boarding school and will be away from home for majority of the year. I have 4 cats, all of which I love dearly and I believe they love me as well- but I'm worried they may forget me when I come back, or at least may not be as fond of me and act like they used to around me. Will my cats forget me if I'm away for a long time? I don't know what I'd do if they don't love me anymore :(
Your Cats will likely remember you. I went away for 1 year for work purposes. When I returned my Cat and I connected without a problem.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I'm glad you joined the site and please don't worry that you did anything wrong since you sound like a very caring and compassionate cat lover. Since you're going away to school I assume your parents or other family members will be looking after the cats for you, is that correct? When one of my children went away to college they were also worried that both our dog and cat would forget them but a bond like theirs could never be forgotten and I'm sure the same is true for you. Will you be coming home for a winter or spring break? You may want to leave behind a shirt, blanket or other piece of material that has your scent. Enjoy your year away at school and the cats will be waiting when you come home.:catlove:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skyhoney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I'm glad you joined the site and please don't worry that you did anything wrong since you sound like a very caring and compassionate cat lover. Since you're going away to school I assume your parents or other family members will be looking after the cats for you, is that correct? When one of my children went away to college they were also worried that both our dog and cat would forget them but a bond like theirs could never be forgotten and I'm sure the same is true for you. Will you be coming home for a winter or spring break? You may want to leave behind a shirt, blanket or other piece of material that has your scent. Enjoy your year away at school and the cats will be waiting when you come home.:catlove:
Thank you so much! My family will be looking after my cats, yes. And I will be coming home for winter/spring break, I'm just worried that the constant distance will take a toll on our relationship :( But I'll definitely leave something for them to remember me by! Thank you for the tip :))

Nice Loki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My family and I stayed with my Mum for 6 weeks in 2016, she had 3 cats, Rusty, Penny & Amy.
During this time Amy (an extremely anxious cat) learned to trust me enough so that she would come to me for attention, which was unheard of with her. My son formed a bond with Penny.
We then returned home and didn't see them again for an entire year.
In 2017 we moved in with my Mum and lived there full time for some months.
Amy totally remembered me and to this day still will come to me for attention and Penny also resumed her bond with my son.
Cats are amazing creatures, I believe that they bond deeply with their human family and remember us for years.
Your cats will remember you, they might withhold their love for a day or two when you come home for the holidays, but once they feel that their point has been made, you will be lavished with love once more.