Will He Grow Out Of Being Skittish?

bananaphone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, sorry for the long post. But one of my 2 cats is about 2.5 years old and super skittish and I was just wondering if its something he will grow out of? I've had him since he was about 4-6 weeks old so its not like I just got him. Only thing is his skittishness seems to have gotten worse as it used to not even be an issue unless I had someone over. Its so bad now that any noise or sudden movement or anything like that causes him to jump up and run and it makes me feel bad every time. He used to just lay around the house without a care in the world but now hes so jumpy.

A little background, I've had to move about 4 times in the past year and a half between 3 different states. I had to move from a house to an apartment in an area that had lots of dogs and noises which I think had an effect on him but I dont know.

Nothing bad has ever happened to him, I've only spanked him once when he pee'd on my rug but he was sitting in my lap a few hours later so I highly doubt it was that. He still sits on my lap daily and sleeps right next to me, but the second I move or something he gets up and runs away. The only other thing is ever since the first move, my other cat has been doing the dominance thing on him where he will grab him by the next and sometimes hump him, but I can't really see why that would cause him to be super jumpy.

If you would like any other information, let me know. I'm just hoping he will get through this eventually

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bananaphone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

heres the big boy laying on my stomach

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
mines the same way 2.5 years old looks alot like yours as well and i hot im when he was 6 weeks old hes always been spooky he will be loving on me then i make a noise or something and he runs off real fast idk why he is that way

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, sorry for the long post. But one of my 2 cats is about 2.5 years old and super skittish and I was just wondering if its something he will grow out of? I've had him since he was about 4-6 weeks old so its not like I just got him. Only thing is his skittishness seems to have gotten worse as it used to not even be an issue unless I had someone over. Its so bad now that any noise or sudden movement or anything like that causes him to jump up and run and it makes me feel bad every time. He used to just lay around the house without a care in the world but now hes so jumpy.

A little background, I've had to move about 4 times in the past year and a half between 3 different states. I had to move from a house to an apartment in an area that had lots of dogs and noises which I think had an effect on him but I dont know.

Nothing bad has ever happened to him, I've only spanked him once when he pee'd on my rug but he was sitting in my lap a few hours later so I highly doubt it was that. He still sits on my lap daily and sleeps right next to me, but the second I move or something he gets up and runs away. The only other thing is ever since the first move, my other cat has been doing the dominance thing on him where he will grab him by the next and sometimes hump him, but I can't really see why that would cause him to be super jumpy.

If you would like any other information, let me know. I'm just hoping he will get through this eventually
How does he walk around? Low to the ground or tall? Tail up or down? Does he avoid areas? Does he go under things or does he go high in the world?

I would do a couple of things to help him build confidence and be less skittish.

I would step up play with him, really good play sessions, and feed treats or a meal after. Play builds confidence. Play with him in areas where he is especially jumpy to begin with and then everywhere in the apartment.

Then make sure that he has a cat tree to go high in the world as height builds confidence. And add some scratching posts and warm and comfy bedding so he can "own" more of the territory.

Finally, just give him love, make sure you are calm and confident around him, talk lovingly to him, give him treats and great food.

Building his confidence will help reduce or stop the bullying the other cat is doing.

It is understandable that he is struggling given the moves. Cats do not like change and are very territorial. So building his confidence through Play, Food, Height and Love should help him and help his territorial security.

Let's see how he does and if this helps him.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both cats are scared. The one is showing dominance because he is not comfortable and made peace with all those moves. Moving 4 times in a year and a half is extremely unsettling to a cat. He may seem calm on your lap,etc. but inside he is scared to death. CATS HATE CHANGE! And both of yours have been through more than most cats will ever go through. It takes about a year for a cat to gain their confidence back after being uprooted from everything they know. Make sure your big boy has a place to escape to, preferrably up high. Say NO loudly and remove the other cat when he is dominant, he needs to know you don't approve. They will come around and calm down, but once again, not for quite awhile. They both need time to adjust, but it will happen with your love and support!

bananaphone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How does he walk around? Low to the ground or tall? Tail up or down? Does he avoid areas? Does he go under things or does he go high in the world?
He walks pretty normal, tail up, rubbing against the edges of things. Doesn't avoid any areas. He will often sleep on top of my chair or on my bedside table. At night he does sleep under the bedside table but I think thats because my mattress is currently on the ground and it keeps him level with me. doesn't hide under anything.

Both cats are scared. The one is showing dominance because he is not comfortable and made peace with all those moves. Moving 4 times in a year and a half is extremely unsettling to a cat. He may seem calm on your lap,etc. but inside he is scared to death. CATS HATE CHANGE! And both of yours have been through more than most cats will ever go through. It takes about a year for a cat to gain their confidence back after being uprooted from everything they know. Make sure your big boy has a place to escape to, preferrably up high. Say NO loudly and remove the other cat when he is dominant, he needs to know you don't approve. They will come around and calm down, but once again, not for quite awhile. They both need time to adjust, but it will happen with your love and support!
I can totally understand that. I was figuring it was all that because the behavior from both cats started when I first moved and has gotten progressively worse since then.

I feel bad because I am for sure moving again in ~3 months or so. It crushes me to know my moves are causing this much stress.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, that is good he is acting pretty normal otherwise.

Please do not feel bad, moving happens. You aren't doing it to hurt them so don't feel bad. Cats take on our emotions and they can sense even the slightest change in our emotions so just love them like you do and stay calm and confident around them. There is no need for you to feel badly, you are here wanting to make their lives better which is very important.

Play is incredibly important so please step up play and follow the advice in my previous post.

We will help them, don't worry.

bananaphone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been playing a lot with him lately and its been getting slightly better. I was just wondering something.

I used to almost exclusively use speakers for everything I did on my computer, which is where i spend all my time when im at home, and for the past year and a couple months I've been exclusively on headphones. I was wondering if the silence might add to his skittishness? my other cat is totally fine, but i was curious if that silence change might have any effect.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great. At least there is movement in the right direction.

That is a good question, I don't know. Cats do not like change so it is possible. Noise also can drown out other sounds which sometimes can cause stress in cats. Less confident cats do get affected by things like this more than confident cats. So as we build his confidence more this should be less of an issue going forward.

Keep up the great work. Keep playing with him especially in areas he is most skittish. Feed either treats or a meal after play. Try to get him up on cat trees or the bed, dressers, etc. Anything high. Let him know he is loved and stay as calm and confident around him and reassure him that everything is fine.

Please let us know how things are going and if you have any questions. Keep up the great work.