Will Great Horned owl eat cats?

lucy muller

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes. I have had two 11 and 15 lb. cats picked up by Great Horned, but they each got away with deep talon holes.

Last edited by a moderator:

jennabengal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A hungry coyote will eat a cat , no matter if a dog is there or not. Foolish to let any cat out

lucy muller

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am also so sorry for you and your cats. A month ago, my black and white cat, Tux, was out at night and came home with talon holes on each side of his body; very deep. He did not develop abscess, but it was a long time healing with his licking and my warm compresses. No more night ventures either and he doesn't even want to go out then. He weighs about 10 lbs. I also heard he Owl for many nights.

lifewith3cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is exactly why cats should not be allowed outside. I feel terrible for the OP, but this should be a clarion call to everyone who lets their cats out, of what can happen. Cats' lives are shortened, period. By getting hit by a car, killed by another animal, stolen by someone to feed to a snake, or to do satanic rituals on it. Yes, all these things happen.

And not only that, but cats are nuisances to nearby neighbors, every bit as much as dogs on the loose are, and they also kill precious songbirds. For all of those reasons, I think it should be required that ALL cats be licensed, and all cats roaming around should be picked up by animal control officers, for their own safety. Someone needs to protect them.

Remember, we love out pets, and think the world of them, but we can't expect our neighbors to feel the same. And we should be responsible pet owners and protect our cats from the dangers that lurk outside, and keep them in our control at all times.. They depend on us to do that.

KittyMom2017

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is a really old thread. Apparently, it gets resurrected every 5 years. I think my cat, who came up missing 12 days ago, was eaten by an owl. I heard an owl that evening... I had no idea that owls were capable of that... so I dismissed it. I heard what sounded like a very quick cry from a cat, but my roommates cat came running up like she was startled so I thought that was what the noise was. She is a pretty nervous cat, so that is not unthinkable for her. But a few minutes later, I went to call him in and he has been nowhere to be found ever since. I miss him so much :'((. This is my handsome Theodore.
20170227_100657-1.jpg

Kitten70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am glad this thread was resurrected, I had not seen it and there is good information here.
I am very sorry for your loss. And yes, I witnessed a great horn owl trying to take our Kitty (at that time he weighed 10.5 lbs) during one of our night walks. He was a super smart cat and reacted by turning around and clipping him (a reason to leave those claws on cats), the owl gave up and flew away. That was one of his nine lives...

KittyMom2017

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am glad this thread was resurrected, I had not seen it and there is good information here.
I am very sorry for your loss. And yes, I witnessed a great horn owl trying to take our Kitty (at that time he weighed 10.5 lbs) during one of our night walks. He was a super smart cat and reacted by turning around and clipping him (a reason to leave those claws on cats), the owl gave up and flew away. That was one of his nine lives...

Ya know... I have never clipped Theo's claws. Had him since he was 6 weeks old and I just never did. I wish he was still here. He was my best friend, my companion, my family. The one constant that would love me no matter what and also the one I could love all of the time. Man... this stinks.

KittyMom2017

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
KittyMom2017 KittyMom2017 -- Sorry for the loss of your beautiful boy Theodore. There is a section in the forums called Crossing the Bridge, you should share some pictures and fond memories of Theodore with other members. It helps to chat with fellow cat lovers that understand exactly how you feel.

Oh thank you. I am pretty broken hearted, but am getting past it. A friend of mine rescues and rehomes kittens all of the time. I am sure she will call me with a story of a kitty who needs a loving momma. I think the best way to honour him would be to love another little kitty who comes to me in distress just like HE did :). I was thinking of getting a cat and my friend's brother found a litter of kittens abandoned in an apartment that had been recently vacated and was trying to find a home for him and the others. One more day and my little man would have been taken to the shelter. That's the way life moves. We lose someone we love and we have to try to find a way to continue down the path. Can't let the sadness keep us from being who we were created to be.

PuurdyPussy91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m sorry to see so many people dealing with this kind of pain. The pain/ loss that we experience after losing a loved one has me constantly wondering weather it’s worth it. Especially when that loved ones fate remains a mystery.

I was recently reminded of this double-edged sword when my beautiful Mercedes was taken from me... or was she? It’s been 6 days today, and I still haven’t located her. I did however locate a very large owl the following two nights after she went missing. It definitely seemed big enough to go after a cat, and now that I know GHO’s enjoy skunk, it seems even more likely given my cats color pattern, which is mostly black and white. Now I’m doing everything in my power not to think about her possibly tragic end.

Attachments

Uncled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A Red tailed hawk tried to grab one of my dogs during the day it got so close my partner swated it away with his hand! I have always heard a large Owl will go after small dogs such as the type I have, so logic would dictate that a cat would be no different.