Will Friskies wet food give a cat crystals?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

QuigIey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yup, which is why it's going in the garbage. So thankful for the people here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

QuigIey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The cat's really trying bless his heart but all he does is grab a dry cookie, spit it out and repeat. He wont go near the wet food. The vet says he will eventually have no choice but to accept the new food but It's been 3 days now
I know it’s not good for them to go several days without eating, I don’t think your vet knew what he was talking about.
The thing is, the girls at the front desk who answer the phone at the veterinary clinic under no circumstance will let you speak to the vet instead opting to answer on his behalf. I asked what her qualifications were and she said "Veterinary Technician".

My cat was heading into day three without accepting the new food and when I told her that I fed him a can of wet food, she told me that I was contributing to his crystals and putting him at risk of death if I didn't hold out until he eat the dry kibble which she referred to as "medication".

I asked her if she knew what hepatic lipidosis was and she didn't know. When I read her the definition she said that the condition only occurs when there are other underlying issues present and at that point it just sounded like she was making things up.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The thing is, the girls at the front desk who answer the phone at the veterinary clinic under no circumstance will let you speak to the vet instead opting to answer on his behalf. I asked what her qualifications were and she said "Veterinary Technician".

My cat was heading into day three without accepting the new food and when I told her that I fed him a can of wet food, she told me that I was contributing to his crystals and putting him at risk of death if I didn't hold out until he eat the dry kibble which she referred to as "medication".

I asked her if she knew what hepatic lipidosis was and she didn't know. When I read her the definition she said that the condition only occurs when there are other underlying issues present and at that point it just sounded like she was making things up.
Oh my goodness. That's really poor advice. Cats aren't dogs.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
The receptionists are just that, receptionists. They do have limited knowledge of animals and conditions but should have directed you to a vet or her seinor peers if she was unable to answer the question.

My vet has told me in situaltions like yours it is more important the cat eats something rather than nothing. Sometimes all crystals need is the elimination of dry food. Try to get him on canned food only. It also helps them loose weight.

Your goal with canned only is diluting the urine. All the urinary so does is make them thirsty, dilute the urine. Canned food can acomplish the same thing unless theres an underlying issue.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Years ago I had a cat with kidney problems. Veterinarian suggested a few eyedroppers of distilled water daily. Have not researched this but apparently it helps. Perhaps this could help prevent crystals from forming as well ... 🤔❓