Will Friskies wet food give a cat crystals?

QuigIey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 14 year old male cat refuses to eat anything but Friskies dry food / wet food. I've tried other expensive brands both dry & wet but he just walks away. I've got so much food just wasted. I've tried weening him off by mixing his dry food with another brand but he just picks out the Friskies (lol).

He recently had crystal blockage (struvite) and was also diagnosed as obese. The blockage cleared up under the vets care and we were sent home with anti inflammatory pills & Royal Canin prescription S/O dry food along with a case of wet food. The vet said no weening off the old food and to just start feeding him the Canin prescription.

The cat's really trying bless his heart but all he does is grab a dry cookie, spit it out and repeat. He wont go near the wet food. The vet says he will eventually have no choice but to accept the new food but It's been 3 days now so I caved and gave him a wet can of Friskies. He pigged out and went to sleep (and started snoring lol).

I know crystals are a serious problem and I'm at my wits end. Does anyone know if Friskies wet food will give a cat crystals?

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I personally don’t know if Friskies will give cats crystals but I’m in the same boat as you are. I have multi cats who will only eat wet Friskies and dry Friskies…I tried the same thing, bought several different brands of better quality wet food but they refused it. I tried to mix a small amount in with the Friskies but they would leave it. I had a couple of sick cats that the vet told me to feed them the science diet food but that was a waste of money. But I know it’s not good for them to go several days without eating, I don’t think your vet knew what he was talking about. I know there are several cat owners on this site who know what they are talking about and can you some good advise…😉 I’ve picked up some good advise from them..
I have found a few dry cat food brands they will eat, there are times the dry Friskies food is hard to find in the stores that’s why I tried other brands as a back up. I actually emailed a few companies and asked them if they could send some samples or coupons because I was trying to switch brands.. one company sent me some samples and the other sent coupons.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Expensive brands can cause crystals too. It could be stress or genetics. My suggestion is slowly get him more interested in wet. My cat did not like prescription til I mixed it with her favorite canned I also used freeze dried treats and purina proplan calming care which are packs with a yummy flavor at the vets only

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

QuigIey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My suggestion is slowly get him more interested in wet.
He loves wet... Friskies. He wont eat any other wet food besides Friskies so just wondering if he's still at risk of crystals.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS, despite what brought you here. Has the vet told you what is causing his crystal formations, such as high Urine PH or bladder infections? The prescription foods are designed to help dissolve struvite crystals, and prevent new ones from forming by reducing the minerals in the food which helps to adjust the urine PH. The biggest help for this is water, water, water because it helps to keep the bladder flushed out. Multiple water dishes around the home and some water fountains to entice him to want to drink more might be options.

So, the biggest thing you can do is get him to drink more water - and try to wean him off the Friskies dry food as much as you can so he is mostly eating the Friskies wet food. There are some cats who will eat the dry food when it is moistened with water, so that is something else to try.

If you want to continue to see if you can - over time - get him to eat the prescription foods, a slow transition can work by far better than an abrupt change. There is also Hill's urinary care food as well as Purina, so RC isn't the only option.

Your cat is 14yo - is this a new situation, or has he always had issues with crystals? There are other things to try to help, but more information about what might be causing his crystals might help.

QuigIey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS, despite what brought you here. Has the vet told you what is causing his crystal formations, such as high Urine PH or bladder infections? The prescription foods are designed to help dissolve struvite crystals, and prevent new ones from forming by reducing the minerals in the food which helps to adjust the urine PH. The biggest help for this is water, water, water because it helps to keep the bladder flushed out. Multiple water dishes around the home and some water fountains to entice him to want to drink more might be options.

So, the biggest thing you can do is get him to drink more water - and try to wean him off the Friskies dry food as much as you can so he is mostly eating the Friskies wet food. There are some cats who will eat the dry food when it is moistened with water, so that is something else to try.

If you want to continue to see if you can - over time - get him to eat the prescription foods, a slow transition can work by far better than an abrupt change. There is also Hill's urinary care food as well as Purina, so RC isn't the only option.

Your cat is 14yo - is this a new situation, or has he always had issues with crystals? There are other things to try to help, but more information about what might be causing his crystals might help.
Thank you for the welcome!

- The vet has only indicated the prognosis determined through a urine test.

- He drinks a lot of water (no tap) which is changed twice a day with stainless bowls cleaned every morning. Also, I've trained him to drink on demand believe it or not by putting my finger in the water bowl to get him started.

- I don't need to ween him off the Friskies dry food because he prefers the Friskies wet food every time lol. The only issue is he's already obese and he refuses anything other than Friskies. His food portions are Friskies dry food available to graze and then a quarter Friskies can in the morning with another quarter of a can in the evening.

- Thanks for the suggestion, I'll ask my vet to order the other foods. Also, I've tried the dry food moistened with water trick but he just looks at me with disgust lol.

- I think you're correct. I need to ween him off slowly. The vet says he's on the prescription food for life.

- This is a new situation and he's not had a single health problem in 14 years.

Thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Too funny about the water - but whatever works!! More wet Friskies and less dry. Increase his wet food, and leave out a little less of the dry. Dry foods are always higher in calories, so that could help with his weight. Obesity seems to have an effect on bladder health too.

Most urinalysis reports can tell you a bit about what is going on. It generally includes the urine PH level, and the degree of crystals found in the urine, among other 'clues' about bladder health. It doesn't sound, based on what the vet is saying, that he has a urinary infection, so that is good. The bladder inflammation meds do indicate that there may be swelling in the urethra (and maybe bladder) which can contribute to blockages because of the accumulation of crystals irritating the mucous membranes of the urinary tract.

QuigIey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Too funny about the water - but whatever works!! More wet Friskies and less dry. Increase his wet food, and leave out a little less of the dry. Dry foods are always higher in calories, so that could help with his weight. Obesity seems to have an effect on bladder health too.

Most urinalysis reports can tell you a bit about what is going on. It generally includes the urine PH level, and the degree of crystals found in the urine, among other 'clues' about bladder health. It doesn't sound, based on what the vet is saying, that he has a urinary infection, so that is good. The bladder inflammation meds do indicate that there may be swelling in the urethra (and maybe bladder) which can contribute to blockages because of the accumulation of crystals irritating the mucous membranes of the urinary tract.
Wow Thank you! Do you think that even with the high phosphorus levels found in the Friskies wet food, it would be alright to increase his wet food, and leave out a little less of the dry? Also, give up on the Royal Canin S/O? I mean he's not even eating it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I sincerely doubt that the phosphorus level in the dry is any better/less than the wet - but I don't know that. I do think you should give a go trying any one of the urinary care foods just to see if you can get him to eat any of them. Some of any of them is better than none of any of them.

It is important to know more details about his urinalysis, just in case that could shed any additional light on the matter. Did he also have blood work done?

QuigIey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I sincerely doubt that the phosphorus level in the dry is any better/less than the wet - but I don't know that. I do think you should give a go trying any one of the urinary care foods just to see if you can get him to eat any of them. Some of any of them is better than none of any of them.

It is important to know more details about his urinalysis, just in case that could shed any additional light on the matter. Did he also have blood work done?
Thank you. Unfortunately an urine analyses was not provided to myself.

The cat was prescribed 20 Clavamox 125mg chew tab which I have been administering every 12 hours.

Also, 1 Metacam Feline which was for pain relief that I opted to not administer since when I had picked him up from the vet the blockage had dissipated. His symptoms were a wet belly which had ceased by the time he was released from the vet. He was left overnight at the vets in order to collect the urine sample.

Bloodwork was not performed. I was told there was a swelling in the urethra as you had also correctly determined. Other than that, the cat was limping I'm presuming due to the swelling.

The cat is no longer limping, has a dry belly, is peeing regularly and is back to his pesky self which incidentally is also his name :)

Thank you, again.

QuigIey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I just witnessed my cat walk up to the bowl with Royal Canin dry food, try to eat one cookie then proceed to spit it out. He tried five or 6 times and would spit them out each time. He's really trying.

I bit into one of the cookies and they're hard as rocks but with an expiry date of Jul 2025. The cat's teeth were checked and are fine. I think I found the problem.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Clavamox is an antibiotic, so I guess they either know or presumed he had a urinary tract infection (UTI). You have the right to a copy of any tests that any vet performs on your cat.

Were you also given wet RC SO for him to try?

QuigIey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Clavamox is an antibiotic, so I guess they either know or presumed he had a urinary tract infection (UTI). You have the right to a copy of any tests that any vet performs on your cat.

Were you also given wet RC SO for him to try?
Yes wet RC S/O but he wouldn't go for it. Thank you for all your help! I think there's a problem with the dry food because it's very hard so will sort it out with the veterinary clinic in the morning.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes wet RC S/O but he wouldn't go for it. Thank you for all your help! I think there's a problem with the dry food because it's very hard so will sort it out with the veterinary clinic in the morning.
You can also add extra water to the wet food to help with extra water intake.

You'll need to get him to loose some weight, so any dry food should be given through movement like a treat ball.

You can also try using a warm and wet paper towel to clean the area around his urethra daily to encourage him to clean it.

Did the vet take a look in his mouth? He might be transferring bacteria from his mouth to his urethra, causing infection.

QuigIey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can also add extra water to the wet food to help with extra water intake.

You'll need to get him to loose some weight, so any dry food should be given through movement like a treat ball.

You can also try using a warm and wet paper towel to clean the area around his urethra daily to encourage him to clean it.

Did the vet take a look in his mouth? He might be transferring bacteria from his mouth to his urethra, causing infection.
He's fine now. I'm taking him off the dry food completely and trying to ween him onto a better wet food. Thanks everyone for your help.

QuigIey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One last thing. I emailed Royal Canin to ask why the kibbles were so hard to chew. Here is their response. Hope it helps someone.

----------
This is Ilda with the Royal Canin customer care team and I would be more than happy to assist with your enquiry.

Feline Urinary SO® Dry Cat Food is digestible and palatable for the cat and the kibble is proven not to cause any harm to the them.

To soften the kibble you can add water.

Additionally, if you will moister the kibble, we encourage you to leave the water in the bowl and not drain it; please ensure that your cat consumes all the water. If there is left over water in the bowl, some of the water soluble vitamins in the kibble may have leaked out into the mixture. It is important to ensure that your cat is receiving all of the intended nutrients from the diet.

Moistened kibble should not be left out as it could foster the development of mould or cause changes in the texture.

Please let me know if you have any other question or concern.

Kind regards,

Ilda
Consumer Care
ROYAL CANIN® Canada
----------