Will Cats Defend Other Cats Territory?

Jody94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I just found these forums searching for an answer to my question.

Some history:My cat, Candy, is a 3 yr old spayed female. She is a confident, well adjusted cat, but she does not seem to like other cats very much. If another cat comes into our yard or on our deck she will yowl at it and make herself puffy.

The other night we were sitting on our porch and observed two neighborhood cats fighting under what I think is Tuxedo Cat's house. At first Candy ignored them, but after a few minutes she decided to go over and effectively scared White and Grey cat away. After a few minutes she came home.

Now, I have seen her run Tuxedo Cat out of your yard before. Is it possible that she and Tuxedo Cat have worked something out? or does Candy think she was defending her own territory? Any insight?

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yrs ago when we 1st got our Tuxedo girl, she ran after & broke up a fight between the feral Black tomcat & another big whitish cat. She ran after them, got in middle, realized they were huge males -- & she's a mid-size girl -- & then ran back home.

Ironically now 3 yrs later, we're trying to trap & take in/neuter that very black tomcat. How ironic, no? But yes, sometimes they do defend or just get in the middle. Unsure if it is territorial or what. Hope someone can add to this. :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby for all her life (14+ yo) will NOT tolerate another cat in the yard. She is confined to a screened in patio, so I don't have to worry about her getting hurt - or hurting another cat. If they are at a distance, she makes this guttural noise. If they are curious, dumb, or otherwise interested in her or in making a 'deal' out of it with her and they come to the screen, she will howl/growl/hiss/scream and attack the screen. Most cats run off - or, at least after I run out and make my presence known.

While Feeby's situation is different somewhat from yours, I still say all Candy is doing is showing the other cats - whoever they are - that she does NOT like them. I doubt Candy has a collaboration with Tuxedo Cat given she apparently doesn't like him either.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mostly agree with above, but my cats when I had screened in porches did form friendships with outside cats, though they never went out. They also had totally 'my enemy for now and into the next four lifetimes' relationships. One tried to get out to chase dogs. I think it's possible that Candy prefers the enemy she knows - the Tux - to the one she doesn't.