Will Blue Wilderness Give My Kids Constipation?

scoochmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
About a year ago, I received a free bag of Blue Wilderness from PetSmart and knowing it was an expensive premium brand, I gave it to my kids as a treat from the usual Purina dry I give them. They loved it. However, about a week or so after the bag ran out, both of them developed constipation - Mooshie, not so bad, but Scoochie had to go to the emergency vet for an enema. WORST two weeks of my life. Well, they are not loving their usual dry - I give them Cat Chow Healthy Weight, Friskies Indoor Delights, and Purina Naturals. So knowing how much they loved the Blue Wilderness, I went out and bought a bag for them, and they are loving it again. I have no proof that the constipation from a year ago was due to the Blue Wilderness,, but lately I have read reviews about Blue Buffalo being a shady brand and that it causes a lot of cats to become sick, so now I am wondering if the Blue Wilderness was the original cause of the constipation, and could it have that effect a week after finishing it?

At the same time, I read an article about the best dry foods for constipation and Blue Wilderness is on the list because it supposedly has a lot of fiber in it, which I'm guessing the Purina brands don't have.

Can anyone tell me anything about Blue Wilderness that I need to know? I've done some research about how Purina sued them for $32 million for false advertising, so I am wondering if it will do more harm than good as far as constipation goes.

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
About a year ago, I received a free bag of Blue Wilderness from PetSmart and knowing it was an expensive premium brand, I gave it to my kids as a treat from the usual Purina dry I give them. They loved it. However, about a week or so after the bag ran out, both of them developed constipation - Mooshie, not so bad, but Scoochie had to go to the emergency vet for an enema. WORST two weeks of my life. Well, they are not loving their usual dry - I give them Cat Chow Healthy Weight, Friskies Indoor Delights, and Purina Naturals. So knowing how much they loved the Blue Wilderness, I went out and bought a bag for them, and they are loving it again. I have no proof that the constipation from a year ago was due to the Blue Wilderness,, but lately I have read reviews about Blue Buffalo being a shady brand and that it causes a lot of cats to become sick, so now I am wondering if the Blue Wilderness was the original cause of the constipation, and could it have that effect a week after finishing it?

At the same time, I read an article about the best dry foods for constipation and Blue Wilderness is on the list because it supposedly has a lot of fiber in it, which I'm guessing the Purina brands don't have.

Can anyone tell me anything about Blue Wilderness that I need to know? I've done some research about how Purina sued them for $32 million for false advertising, so I am wondering if it will do more harm than good as far as constipation goes.
About the lawsuit, I watched Pet Fooled on Netflix which was recommended by another user. Purina is guilty of the same thing they sued Blue Buffalo over, so that's something to keep in mind.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. I think I know the answer to this. My Maggie gets constipation if her dry food isn't the "Indoor" version. Was the Blue dry food that you gave that caused constipation the regular version, not the Indoor? Maybe try the Indoor if they have one. I can only go from my own experimentations. :D

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Dry food causes constipation no matter who makes it just because it is dry food. It is not hard to figure out why: lots of carbohydrates, fillers, and preservatives plus it has no water. So there is no such thing has good anti-constipation dry food.

Daisy has been eating dry Blue Wilderness Indoor Chicken for about a year because I could not find a wet food she would eat consistently. She was never constipated. I also started getting it with a free bag from Petsmart but got the dark purple one for all adult cats first, then switched her to the bright blue bags. Keep feeding it to them if they refuse to eat wet food.

What is this nonsense about Blue Buffalo being a shady company? Purina is the one with false advertising.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Different foods work for different cats. Purina will work for some Blue for others. Im not sure there is a pet food company anywhere that does not have a little shade? But i don't honestly think any of them are the big evil either.

Wet food is best for a cat that has constipation problems. However i am not against all dry foods, i do like to feed wet as well as dry. Not all cats that eat dry will be constipated. I read different things on fiber, seems some cats with constipation do better with more fiber, some cats do better with way less fiber. Here again it comes down to your cat and its body, what works for it.

The only way i know to truly tell if Blue caused the constipation is to try feeding it again. If it happens the second time, you pretty much know.

If they developed the constipation a week after you quit feeding blue, then i would think maybe the fiber in the blue, or the lack of, i dont know the amounts in this food, was working for them. Sometimes a change is all it takes to cause something like constipation, or diarrhea, not necessarily that one was bad for them. Just the change, stooping or starting a food abruptly can cause issues. Their body is use to a type, and or an amount of fiber, or probiotics, different ingredients in certain foods. When they dont get that anymore then problems can develop.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
There is not one "big evil" pet food company. Some brands are bad for all cats (see "vegan cat food" on Google), but the companies we are familiar with vary in quality while not exactly promoting a species-inappropriate diet.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well, you are right vegan cat food may be a big evil.