Will Black smoke coat grow back normally after being shaved?

Falena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this question, but hopefully someone can help answer this.
I had my black smoke girlie, Akila spayed a month ago and her coat has only just started to make a reappearance ( I understand it can take some time to grow back)
She had a flank spay, so the vet shaved a decent amount of fur off.
I assumed on a black smoke, her coat would emerge with black tips? It looks as if it's growing back white! 😅
Will this change as it reaches it's full length? Or do you think she might keep an unusual souvenir from her spay?
Thank you in advance!
20220830_205528.jpg 20220830_205353.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
If you take a look at other hair shafts from where she wasn't shaved, if they're white nearest the skin but become darker towards the outer tip that's probably what's happening, and you'll see the color change as the hairs get longer :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Falena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
If you take a look at other hair shafts from where she wasn't shaved, if they're white nearest the skin but become darker towards the outer tip that's probably what's happening, and you'll see the color change as the hairs get longer :)
Ah, Thank you! I wasn't sure if a cats fur might grow like our hair does if we dye it and it grows out y'know? Like, with the black emerging first and then the roots coming through white once it reaches that stage (for Akila this is about 60% down the shaft, she's quite a light smoke) I have seen on temperature reactive coats like pointed cats squares of deep colour like their points regrow or scars that grow white hair, so wasn't sure exactly how it works for a coat such as silver or smoke. That's helpful to know :lol: