Will a groomer help?

Annieca2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My eldest, SnapCat is blowing her coat. She's a double coated domestic shorthair and for the past week or so, I pet her and my hand comes away super furry. I've been bathed her in the past but honestly, not the most pleasant experience for either of us. Not scratching, just running away. I was thinking maybe a professional groomer might be in order? Some gabapentin on board so she's a bit doped up, and then have a groomer get all that loose fur plus a good shampoo.
Thoughts? I'm drowning in fur here!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As long as she doesn’t get stressed at the groomer. I would skip the bath. Have you tried a furminator?

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you tried brushing her? A bath isn’t a good way to remove shedding fur.

We brush Belle every morning before she gets her breakfast. It make a big difference.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Annieca2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Brushing definitely! I haven't been doing it consistently so I'm trying that before we torture everyone with a bath or the groomers!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When you've bathed her in the past, did it seem to help the shedding slow down? What type of brush are you using, and are you finishing up each brushing session with a comb? (I think a comb gets much, much more hair out than any brush.) A good fish oil supplement will definitely help with the shedding as well but this will take awhile to see results.
Some groomers do not groom cats. We do, however, we only groom cats 2-3 days out of the month when there are few (if any) dogs around. Each cat has two groomers at all times to help keep everyone safe. This keeps the cats happier. A large volume shop full of barking and energetic dogs IMO is no place for a cat, and groomers inexperienced with cats will sometimes tie them around the neck with a grooming loop for restraint, which is a huge red flag. So if you can find a groomer who specializes in cats, or is experienced with them, or has a "cats only" day, this would be ideal. Another option is to consider mobile, but that would be more expensive.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
brush her every day few times a day if you can manage short sessions at first so it becomes a thing your cat enjoy. old human brushes will work to wont pull as much hair out but they work :lol: i use gf's old brush on graycie and she loves it then i use the wire brush on her after

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Annieca2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep, she's a bit of a chonk at 13-something pounds but she grooms herself easily. Bathing her in the past has cut down on some of the shedding - I think because I'm getting some almost loose fur in the process of scrubbing her down. (Gently of course!!)

Normally I use a Sleek-Ez comb (it was originally designed for horses but they discovered it works well for cats so have a small "cat-sized" one.) I have a Furminator but I am hesitant to use it too much because she'll get a spot at the base of her tail where the fur is really thin if I "furminate" her too frequently.

I've tried fish oil but she won't touch it or fish oil treats, alas. Isn't much of a fan of salmon either!

At some point we'll hit peak summer in Florida so she'll stop shedding, fingers crossed!!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A Annieca2016 You can just use the Furminator on sections if you want.

Those gloved ones for domestic shorthairs work REALLY well too. The loose fur sticks to it. I take them outside to do this in our enclosed patio so that I'm not throwing it around the house.

I do actually gently use a horse deshedder on them as well during shed season. Cal REALLY likes it.