Will A Fhv Flare Cause Elevated Neutrophils?

furrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has been sick for a couple of weeks. Vomiting, loss of appetite and very congested. No sneezing or nasal discharge. A new vet did blood work and an upper respiratory panel. The only thing the panel showed was herpes, but the blood work showed elevated neutrophils. Is that because of the herpes, or do neutrophils only indicate a bacterial infection somewhere?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - I'm sorry you haven't gotten a reply!

I don't have experience with the specifics you're asking about, but I did want to mention a couple things you could try if you haven't already;

obtaining no dust litter
eliminating plug-in air fresheners, scented candles, spray air fresheners
eliminating spray cleaners
eliminating strongly scented dryer sheets and laundry soap
eliminating perfumes and strongly scented bath products
if you live where the air is polluted, possibly obtain a powered air cleaner

Also if you live where the air is really dry, possibly obtain a humidifier - does it help your cats' congestion to be in a bathroom with a hot steaming shower running?

And for the food situation, here's a couple websites that might help;
Pet Food Guide
CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sometimes just the stress of visiting a vet will cause elevated neautrophils. These cells often stay attached to the walls of blood vessels, so when you draw blood, they aren’t part of the sample. Stress will make some detach and become counted.

If your kitty has been sick for a couple of weeks, maybe a more aggressive treatment is in order. I’m not a vet but has anyone mentioned antibiotics? Also, has your cat been tested for allergies?

I hope your baby gets better soon. Sending lots of “get well” vibes her way.