Will a cat's adult fur end up longer or shorter than his/her baby hair?

jane559

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Will a kitten's adult fur end up longer or shorter than his/her baby hair? When will a kitten begin to develop his/her adult fur?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Most of the time the adult coat and kitten coat are similar in length. You sometimes get one who poofs or thins out as an adult but I'd say it's usually not extremely different. You also will have a shorter haired cat who gets a much denser and longer winter coat (at least compared with their summer coat). It's usually after their first winter as an adult that you will know for sure what their adult coat will be like. Adult coat itself usually coming in before 1 year old but I like to get through the first winter before saying you know what your cats coat is like. My girl gets a pretty impressive winter coat going from "my collar is super loose and fur can barely reach it" to "what collar?" (Because her fur hides it in the winter).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jane559

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Most of the time the adult coat and kitten coat are similar in length. You sometimes get one who poofs or thins out as an adult but I'd say it's usually not extremely different. You also will have a shorter haired cat who gets a much denser and longer winter coat (at least compared with their summer coat). It's usually after their first winter as an adult that you will know for sure what their adult coat will be like. Adult coat itself usually coming in before 1 year old but I like to get through the first winter before saying you know what your cats coat is like. My girl gets a pretty impressive winter coat going from "my collar is super loose and fur can barely reach it" to "what collar?" (Because her fur hides it in the winter).
Thanks for the reply. Do you by any chance have photos of your girl's winter coat and her summer coat?:)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Looking through photos it's not nearly as dramatic as I feel it is, lol. It's mostly around her neck area that she poofs.

Summer

IMG_20190630_155514.jpg

Winter

IMG_20190224_173710.jpg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its a good question. Sometimes its difficult to see on young kittens. We had cats here whom were as changelings... Total difference from when they were kittens till they become adults, lenghwise of the fur.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Very hard to tell as all little ones are fluffy. Usually the kittens that end up being long hairs have very thick but not necessarily long hair. The might have toe or ear tufts as well.