Wild kitty finally got a real vet exam - food allergy concerns and diabetes prevention

narelle

Lover of Cats and Catfish
Young Cat
Purraise
About 5 years into owning my previously feral (now indoor only) cat, Astrid, and after a recent move to a new area, I finally got her to a vet that was willing to give her a real exam. Because she was feral, she hasn't tolerated much at previous vet visits and I've had vets actively discourage me from bringing her in to avoid over stressing her.

She had a rough day when I took her, we didn't have the most fun getting her kenneled and she was stressed enough to bite the nurse, so they ended up having to sedate her. But that turned out for the better - they were able to do a full thorough exam, take samples for lab work, and administer vaccines while she was out.

It turns out her anal glands were extremely enlarged and likely causing her pain, which definitely wouldn't have been something she would have let the vet check if she hadn't been sedated, so while it's not an ideal situation, I'm very glad we went that route so the vet was able to find and fix that issue for her.

She got her teeth and ears cleaned, her nails clipped, and was checked for fleas (all clean!).
Because she itches and doesn't have any evidence of parasites, the vet is suspicious of food allergies which will be rough to deal with for Astrid in particular. She is quite possibly, without exaggeration, the pickiest cat in the world. I've tried every trick in the book to try to convince her to try new foods, and I've gone through well over 100 (and stopped counting so probably closer to 200 now) different foods that she wouldn't eat. Trying to do elimination diets to find an allergen for her is going to be near impossible. :(

Her bloodwork came back mostly excellent, but her glucose was high. Secondary testing thankfully showed she is not yet diabetic, but her levels were still high enough to be a concern so it's something I have to watch out for and want to work to prevent.

This was a lot of stress for both of us, but I'm so glad I finally found a vet that is willing to treat her like a real cat. I've been wanting to have her bloodwork done since I got her, just to get some sort of baseline since she was caught as an adult and I have no idea what her history is like. I wonder how long her glucose has been suspiciously high and if I could have caught it sooner with a more proactive vet.

I also was given a medication (Gabapentin) to make her next visit (in 6 months, to check on her anal glands) easier on her. Just something to give her right before, to help mellow her out and keep her from feeling so stressed. So next time things should go better for everyone. :)

---

This post has mostly just been to share, but since I'm here:

Any tips or good resources for ways to help prevent the onset of diabetes in cats?

Anyone know a good list of common food allergens
so I can have a little more direction in trying to address Astrid's possible allergy?

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I feel your pain right now. XOXOXOXO Charlie, my guy, has a food allergy that took three years to get him to even try a different food. (His Doctor wants him switched again) and we're back to the "OMG KITTY JUST TRY IT!" phase. If he were close to diabetic, which would limit the food more, I think I'd lose my mind. So I completely get what kind of stress you're under with the food.

One of the biggest allergies is Chicken and Turkey. Although a cat can be allergic to anything - just like people. It can be a carb that's in the food, an additive - anything. It's often the protein though. So let hope that's Astrid's issue.

If Astrid's weight is up, getting her weight to normal is a big thing with diabetes.

Furballsmom Furballsmom was very kind and gave me a great list of toppers to try to help get Charlie to try something new.

The post is here:
Charlie: The Food Trial Diaries (ibd / Food Allergy (sensitivity) Or Stress)

The list is awesome. Maybe one will intice Astrid. *fingers are crossed for you*

Gabapentin will be your best friend when you need to take her in. Two of mine have to take it. One is a former Feral and I would stand no chance getting her to the Doctor without it. I too hated having to sedate them.

EDIT to add: CONGRATS on getting her in to see the Doctor. You did a great thing! XOXOXOX

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I really can't expand on what F FeralHearts has offered, but did want to mention that stress can cause a high glucose reading. So, while you need to watch Astrid, it is a good possibility that with something to calm her on the next vet visit, the glucose reading could be more in the normal range.

You could also consider asking the vet about allergy testing - using the most 'common' list of potential culprits, including environmental, although I have heard there are just too many false positives or negatives to ensure the results have actually found the allergen at fault.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Any tips or good resources for ways to help prevent the onset of diabetes in cats?

so I can have a little more direction in trying to address Astrid's possible allergy?

Feed low carb canned food only. Under 10% carbs is recommended and some people choose to feed as close to zero carbs as possible but the number of foods with super low carbs is extremely limited. You can go up to as much as 15% for a wider selection of foods. Gravy / sauce based foods tend to be high in carbs because of the thickeners needed but the occasional meal won't cause any harm. You can use the Catinfo.org to find low carb foods: https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

Ingredients that commonly cause sensitivities / allergies in cats are grains, protein such as chicken, and fillers like gums. Try feeding a limited ingredient type food to start. Some cats are sensitive to multiple ingredients and it's a long process to find out exactly what the culprits are.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

LTS3 LTS3 's guidelines on carbs are a good start, particularly using the food list on the catinfo.org site. We feed our cats a very low-carb diet, which is good for lots of other reasons, too, since some of the fillers that go into foods can cause sensitivities.

As for foods that commonly cause allergies and sensitivities, fish is a big one and I've also seen beef mentioned.

Good luck!