Wild Kitten!

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I've got allitle conundrum on my hands. I've got a beautiful Kitten that took all the best aspects of his mom and dad and want to show him in another month when he's old enough. Problem is though.. he's absolutely insane. We're talking kitten playfulness at a whole new level. He spends hours tearing around the Cattery throwing himself from wall to wall and attacking anything that moves. I'll see him flying by claws out and mouth wide open and duck. Sometimes I feel like he spends a quarter of his time in the air... It's all play but it's like he's been snorting goodies powder or something. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get him into a more agreeable head space so that I can start the training process or do y'all think that this Kitten just doesn't have the personality for showing.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Just out of curiosity, what breed is he? You could always try him in a show. How does he respond during mock judging? Cats really just have to be amenable to being handled, it's the judges' job to keep the cats on the table. During judging, the judge will bring out toys to play with him, and often times, there's also a pole for the cats to climb. A playful kitten is always a treat for the audience and judge to watch, for Abyssinians, (who basically act like kittens their whole lives), it actually says in their breed standard that they have to be playful and interested in their surroundings: http://cfa.org/Portals/0/documents/breeds/standards/abyssinian.pdf. Abyssinian kittens are especially active, often described as literally bouncing off the walls. I realize that your cat might not be an Aby, but if kittens from arguably the most active cat breed can be handled at shows, I'm sure your's will be able to be as well. If the cat doesn't like being touched, or being around other cats (basically not liking the show environment), that's a different story, and it's best not to force a cat like that to show. There is no harm in trying a show though! Your cat might love it. If not, you can always wait until he's an adult and try again.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Start getting him used to being handled like the judges handle them. I actually set up a cage and scratching post like they have in the ring and we go through the putting the kitten in the cage, waiting for for a little while like they would have to in the ring and then taking them out and play judging them. Try taking him anywhere that will allow cats to get him used to the noise and strangeness. Some never like to be shown but you won't know unless you try, but give him a good foundation to start with and don't just throw him in the ring. Two of my best cats who would have easily granded never took to showing, but that is sometimes the way it is.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How does it looks at your Place? Does he has a cat pal whom likes to play and wreste with? Something to do, alike watching birds in a bird feeder outside the window? A cat condo in 3D - perhaps made up by yourself, some planks set up to climb around? Do you play with him a lot?
Anyways we too had a Russian Blue running at full speed tirelessly, and yet he managed nicely at shows. HIS problems was he was shy, didnt liked to be carried, and later on, fully fertile. So this was his problems
So I've got allitle conundrum on my hands. I've got a beautiful Kitten that took all the best aspects of his mom and dad and want to show him in another month when he's old enough. Problem is though.. he's absolutely insane. We're talking kitten playfulness at a whole new level. He spends hours tearing around the Cattery throwing himself from wall to wall and attacking anything that moves. I'll see him flying by claws out and mouth wide open and duck. Sometimes I feel like he spends a quarter of his time in the air... It's all play but it's like he's been snorting goodies powder or something. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get him into a more agreeable head space so that I can start the training process or do y'all think that this Kitten just doesn't have the personality for showing.
, not any excess of energhy as such.