wild cat

mark leggett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi all i just got another ocicat from a good cat breeder, she is a respected breeder and known by meny cat lovers.im asking for some advice of you guys on here please.this little cat has had very little human contact she is fine with other cats but when she see a human she is gone like a shot she will climb the walls to get away from you,the person i got her from could never do anything with her,she is 2 years old so still young,i cant get anywhere near her i have managed to get her in a very large puppy crate and have her in the room with us where she see us and maybe she will get use to people being around.i gave her a box to sleep in but all she do is hide away in there and only come out when everyone has gone to bed to feed,what i am asking is is there anything i can give her to calm her down so i can get close to her and stroke her so she get to know that this is a nice place to be ,i realy like this little cat and want her to come round to liveing with me.so any advice will be grate you can reply on here or email me on [email protected] thanks guys

mark

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for adopting this young cat. She may never be exactly a people kitty, but there are lots of things you can do to socialize her and help her come to trust people and enjoy their company. You can read more about it in the Caring for Strays and Ferals section, but basically, confine her to one room of your home with water, litter box, bedding, and toys. I learned a little trick from a lady who does rescue work not to leave food out so that when you go into visit the kitty, you bring the food and they will associate you with good things. Visit your kitty in the room for at least 30 minutes twice a day. You can also leave a radio playing, but go about your day as you normally would. When you go into the room, sit on the floor. Do not make eye contact with the kitty. Speak in a calm, soft voice. Read aloud to the kitty, even if she is hiding. She'll eventually get curious and come out. Do not approach the kitty or try to pick her up. Get some wand toys (feather on a stick, string toy, or DaBird) and play with her. Use those toys to draw her out from hiding. The biggest thing is to be patient and don't force her to do anything she's uncomfortable with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mark leggett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ok thank you very much for that i have got her in one room as you say,and i have been sitting on the floor near her talkin to her,they thing i have been doing that i think is wrong im leaving food in there all the time so she will feed when we go to bed so i will take that away on a night and return it in the morning,i will also put some toys with her and get a stick with somthing hanging from the end to get her to play,thanks for the advice i let ya know how it goes

thanks

mark

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mark leggett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well she is takeing more notice now with the things i am doing now as above,i will keep doing this now untill she becomes more calmer it seems to be working