Wild Cat Still Wild In Some Respects. Amazing Hunter!! Just Had To Share..

CreamsiclePuff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am in awe with the amazing hunting skills of this orange wild cat. I trapped him about 11 months ago, and began the process of integrating this (vet says 1 and a half year old) into domestic life. It took forever, but we're at the point now where this miniature lion (his long stride matches that of a lion, he has very muscular legs and looks impressive as he struts) follows me from room to room in the house, and waits for me at the door when I leave. He climbs my leg, often, for some Love. And when he's in my arms, rubbing the sides of his face firmly against mine, purring so loudly, being cradled as a baby would, it's so easy to forget his wild beginnings. But there are times such as yesterday, where I stand in awe and amazement at what this striking orange tomcat is capable of. I had him on a 6 foot leash yesterday, walking him around the backyard when I felt a sharp pull on the leash, and saw a blur of orange leap to the end of his line. Before I knew what had happened, I heard the crunch, and in the time it took me to stoop to the ground to take a look, he had already devoured half of the mouse he just caught, right before my eyes, while leashed. It's absolutely amazing. He could definitely still take care of himself if need be and I have no doubt he could quickly revert back to a fully wild state. I just feel so lucky to hold this little wild thing in my arms at night and hear his contented purr, knowing that he is with me because he chooses to be, not because he needed to be cared for, as he is very obviously quite capable of survival on his own.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CreamsiclePuff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The interesting thing is, after the mouse was devoured the only thing left was a clean, untouched, unpunctured, perfect mouse cecum (where the poop is stored before exiting the body). Absolutely fascinating that was left. He definitely knows what's nutritious to eat and what's not. I'm used to cats leaving the head of the mouse, and maybe the tail. Never seen a mouse consumed this way before, just leaving the part that could potentially make him sick. That's a learned behaviour for sure. I wonder if he comes from a long line of wild cats. I have a feeling his mother taught him well. He also flattens to his belly and hides in the grass whenever he sees a person he doesn't know. It's uncanny the way he can make himself shrink so small in the grass so as to not be detected. I really wish I knew where he came from. Sometimes, on our walks, he stares off in a certain direction and starts swaying his tail briskly back and forth with a look on his face that makes me think he maybe came from that direction, towards a wooded valley. But after a minute of intense gaze, he turns back to me, and walks along side me as if he is tempted to leave, but in the end decides that this new way of life is his preference.

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Animals learn quick the guts aren't tasty or needed, I've had two cats that ate mice (I have snakes so plenty of feeder rodents around) and both left the guts like that, as do my ferrets. It's pretty fascinating to watch them carefully eat around it.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That is what they mean when they say that people do not realize how close their pet cat is to their wild relatives. My now deceased Zoe, who looked like a Turkish Van but more than likely was not, was rescued by me from a feral cat feeding station when we had to relocate the cats. At my house, she was trained to go outside on a lead when I was home but never failed, lead and all, to catch mice if she got the chance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CreamsiclePuff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
wow! your kitty has come a long way!
great job!
Walli!! Yes he's come so far. He's still a work in progress, and likely always will be, but we're tackling things as they come. He gets spaced out sometimes and attacks without warning.. nothing severe. It seems like maybe he hallucinates sometimes? I'm really not sure as I just can't make sense of his actions sometimes. He'll go from acting normal and calm, to staring at nothing in particular and then lunging and batting and biting my leg. He must sort of know what he's doing because he never draws blood, so there is some restraint there. But it sure doesn't seem like play, it's too rough, and he doesn't act at all like he enjoyed it. But all in all I'm happy with the progress. Hope things are going well for you!!

Catzmeow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How did you train your cat to go on a harness? I tried to put a collar on Shadow and he looked horrified so I took it off after a couple of minutes. He then grabbed it and took it away like he wanted to kill it.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He really has come very far! You did a great job!
We are still progressing very slowly.
Joey is getting better every day, and maybe more mature?
Him not drawing blood is good, I went through a time where Joey was attacking my legs and drawing blood, It was getting frustrating.
He doesn't do it anymore! He is on CBD, I was skeptical but I'm pretty positive it is helping him.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have put harnesses on 4 cats in my life. In my case, a little bit of it depended on having cats who were not terrified of the idea of a harness. Now, oddly, the one who was most successful with the harness would never allow a collar and would always remove and lose it. Given she never left my property, I know that no one else was doing this. As for the harness, we just went little by little and I eventually put them on a very long tie out, only when I was home and in the part of the house where I could watch them or outside with them. A friend in Denmark walks his Somali down the street like a dog;however, I think that a lot depends on the cat's view of the harness and lead.