WILD boys...when will they CALM DOWN?!?

julia123123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I adopted two feral kittens nearly 2 years ago. They are a bonded pair and so sweet and loving. The only problem we have is that they are SO wild and SO destructive that it's starting to wear me down! They've shredded wallpaper...gouged window sills...ripped up bedding, curtains, furniture...they relentlessly chase our elderly cat (but at least don't jump on her or hurt her)...they have chipped wall paint by constant leaps against wall...ripped up new carpet on stairs...have eaten all the house plants...won't stay off the dining room table despite the sticky tape that now covers it...the list goes on and on.

We're home with them all day.
We play with them all the time.
They have A MILLION toys that are alway accessible to them (all over the floor, all over the house)
They also have some electric toys (moving lasers, moving feather wands) that they're interested in for around 10 seconds.
They have perches...cat trees...scratch pads that I've tried to teach them to use. In multiple rooms. Right next to the furniture that they scratch.
We snuggle them all the time. They get a TON of attention.
They are neutered.
I clip their nails every 2 weeks.

I like their exuberance but I'm also glancing at the calendar, wondering when this wild phase might start to slow down, especially when I think about our elderly cat that they chase. Like I mentioned above, they're nearly 2 years old. I've had lots of cats but never any that have been this wild and destructive for so long. Any ideas when these boys might start to actually sleep during the day, for longer than a few minutes??

Or coping tips?? :)

Thanks!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some tips. The when on calming down depends on the cats. Magnus is 3 and going strong.

- Pick up the toys and divide them into three groups. Put two groups away and keep one out but place them in "odd" spots. In the two groups away put catnip on them and before you rotate the toy group, pop the new one in the freezer for ten minutes to activate the catnip really well.

- Provide some things like boxes and craft paper that they CAN be destructive on. Those cardboard scratchers work really well too. I have to clean up cardboard chunks and rotate them out, but it's really helpful.

- food through enrichment. Puzzles for dry if you do dry (loads of DIY on YouTube, no need to break the bank), and lick mats etc for wet. Keep those brains busy and wear them out. I even got a rabbit snuffle mat for these boys. Though, there are dog toys where they press a button at one area and have to run to the other area where the dispenser is to get the food. Could be a good option?

- if you can and feel comfortable, consider a slip-resistant harness and daily walks like a dog. Bonus it gets them out of the house for your senior to chill out for a bit

- scheduled play time to wear them down, daily. At least 15 minutes each once a day, twice is better. Keep at it with different movements like flying, under some paper, etc

- reset the "out" toys daily by putting them in weird spaces again. A toy falling because they went past it can initiate fun play on its own.

- sticky pads on the furniture to lessen scratching, along with catnip spray on the scratchers. To get them using the scratchers it's really about finding a type that's a "hit" with them and encouragement.

- clicker training may be a good idea. Maybe even some agility training!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

julia123123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some tips. The when on calming down depends on the cats. Magnus is 3 and going strong.

- Pick up the toys and divide them into three groups. Put two groups away and keep one out but place them in "odd" spots. In the two groups away put catnip on them and before you rotate the toy group, pop the new one in the freezer for ten minutes to activate the catnip really well.

- Provide some things like boxes and craft paper that they CAN be destructive on. Those cardboard scratchers work really well too. I have to clean up cardboard chunks and rotate them out, but it's really helpful.

- food through enrichment. Puzzles for dry if you do dry (loads of DIY on YouTube, no need to break the bank), and lick mats etc for wet. Keep those brains busy and wear them out. I even got a rabbit snuffle mat for these boys. Though, there are dog toys where they press a button at one area and have to run to the other area where the dispenser is to get the food. Could be a good option?

- if you can and feel comfortable, consider a slip-resistant harness and daily walks like a dog. Bonus it gets them out of the house for your senior to chill out for a bit

- scheduled play time to wear them down, daily. At least 15 minutes each once a day, twice is better. Keep at it with different movements like flying, under some paper, etc

- reset the "out" toys daily by putting them in weird spaces again. A toy falling because they went past it can initiate fun play on its own.

- sticky pads on the furniture to lessen scratching, along with catnip spray on the scratchers. To get them using the scratchers it's really about finding a type that's a "hit" with them and encouragement.

- clicker training may be a good idea. Maybe even some agility training!
Thanks, that's really good advice! I'm going to give it a try!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You might try claw caps on their front feet. They can, and will, scratch at something, but the claws do not penetrate.

Two years is still in kittenhood (albeit the latter part) for a cat psychologically. They are in their "late teens," with all the mayhem that implies. Athough, if much of their DNA is one of the larger breeds, Maine Coon, Norwegian Forest, etc, kittenhood and maturity extend well into the third year.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

julia123123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They're grey tabbies, not especially large. Late teens...phew. The end is in sight! :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep. Won't happen overnight, especially with two of them egging each other on, but it will subside!