Why would our neutered cat intentionally spray my husband?

7irishkitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We were raking leaves in the yard yesterday and stopped to have a sit and play session with the furry kiddos. 

I was sitting on the ground with the hubby sitting about 3 feet away.  Ward was laying next to me and suddenly got up, walked over to dh and turned and sprayed his leg and then kicked leaves on him with his back legs.  What in the world?

Ward is male and has been neutered for 10 years now and every time he urinates he always squats.  I don't think I have ever seen him spray.  He was approx 1-2 years when we rescued him and he was not nutered until then. 

What might have made him do this?  He is very healthy with no urinary probs and is very friendly so I'm just kind of wondering what might have brought this on.  My hubby wasn't angry but he wasn't exactly happy about it either. 

Any ideas?

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea why he would do that, I was hoping someone else would post a reason. We had a netuered cat that would spray both of us. DH was working on his motorcycle on the porch, cat backed up to him, sprayed down the back of his pants. DH went nuts and chased him. He would never harm a cat, but he was as mad as I have ever seen him. The same cat cat sprayed me in the face by backing up into the slightly open curtain. 2 weeks later he jumped into my dinner plate and sprayed the side of my head. DH opened the door, he ran out and never came back. He found another home down the street. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

7irishkitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow!  You did have problems. Sorry you had to go through that.

This is the first time I have ever had this happen.  We have one inside male that we rescued as a kitten and he was spayed at 5 months and he has never sprayed the wall, me, or anything else for that matter. 

Ward was spayed after we rescued him and he was already between 1-2 years old. 

It was just out of the blue and he acted as if he sprayed and did it on purpose because he turned and kicked leaves and grass on his leg

Could it be jealousy because he was laying next to me?  I have no idea but I would really like to be able to avoid it in the future it possible.