Why they call me gemlady...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SillyJilly

Wow Jan, that is reall great. I love the pic of the fourth stone in sort of rectangley green marbled. That's so pretty!
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

that could possibly be malachite
That is a piece of chrysocolla.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

i knew that...i was just um..testing your skills
Thanks for helping me keep this old brain sharp.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are great pictures Jan! I actually did wonder about your username. My father is a member of the Mid-West Faceter's Guild. My parents like to mine for sapphires and rubies in North Carolina and Montana. Dad needs to have his cataracts done, so he hasn't been cutting for a while...he can't see that well anymore. It's a wonderful hobby. I hope that my father will teach me someday, it looks fascinating! Thanks for sharing your pics! It looks like you're having a good time!

Pookie & the girls

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Very cool, Jan! Thanks for sharing -- nice to see you at work, too. Looking forward to seeing some jewellery pieces.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Those are great pictures Jan! I actually did wonder about your username. My father is a member of the Mid-West Faceter's Guild. My parents like to mine for sapphires and rubies in North Carolina and Montana. Dad needs to have his cataracts done, so he hasn't been cutting for a while...he can't see that well anymore. It's a wonderful hobby. I hope that my father will teach me someday, it looks fascinating! Thanks for sharing your pics! It looks like you're having a good time!

Pookie & the girls
Mom had her cataracts done about 10 years ago. She has probably taught most of the members we have now.

She tried faceting but just couldn't get into it like she wanted. Our club has faceting machines to learn with but we need someone to teach. Our best teacher is busy with mundane life and his job and I need to remind him to rejoin. (He also has cats.
)

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

Mom had her cataracts done about 10 years ago. She has probably taught most of the members we have now.

She tried faceting but just couldn't get into it like she wanted. Our club has faceting machines to learn with but we need someone to teach. Our best teacher is busy with mundane life and his job and I need to remind him to rejoin. (He also has cats.
)
Cats & Gems....what a perfect combination!!!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What gorgeous work! I don't have the talent you do, to take a simple chunk of rock and make it reveal its beauty... but I do make jewelry, and I especially love to do wirework with stones. Lately, I'm doing a lot of beadweaving, too -- peyote, brick, ndebele, netting, etc. I love blending the bead colors to draw out subtle hues in the stone... it's like solving a mystery, trying to find what's in there.

You're so fortunate to be able to make your living doing such artistic work! Thank you for sharing the pictures!

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow i didn't realise so many of the ladies here were artistic
especially with lots of kitties to cause destruction!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jan how clever are you!
Theres a girl at work here bought a couple of rings from that Gems.t.v. and they send her a book on all the different gems you can buy and their all gorgeous!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

What gorgeous work! I don't have the talent you do, to take a simple chunk of rock and make it reveal its beauty... but I do make jewelry, and I especially love to do wirework with stones. Lately, I'm doing a lot of beadweaving, too -- peyote, brick, ndebele, netting, etc. I love blending the bead colors to draw out subtle hues in the stone... it's like solving a mystery, trying to find what's in there.

You're so fortunate to be able to make your living doing such artistic work! Thank you for sharing the pictures!
I also string beads but right now have no desire to get involved with seed beads.
I do have some but use them as accents with larger beads. I have also used them in repairs and sewing on clothing (namely a black and white wedding gown). I have admiration for you for working with them!

I also do wire wrap. Best way to mount the free forms I cut.

Originally Posted by jane_vernon

As long as you don't have a human coprolite
I see you googled. I have a very nice one from a prehistoric turtle. Very lifelike in shape and color and always a big hit when talking to schoolkids!

Originally Posted by lookingglass

That so cool! How long did it take you to learn?
My first stone was done way back in 1974 and took about an evening to learn the basics.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does the alexandrite have a nice color change to it? How big is it? I have a synthetic one and it will have to do until I win the lottery.