Why Might My Cat Be Biting?

freyaandzelda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey all! So I have a new cat. Shes much older than my other two at 10 years old, and since she didn't grow up with me we both have habits to get used to. One of her bad habits is biting. Whenever I let her, about 9 times out of 10, she bites me. At first I thought it was because she was overstimulated and wanted me to stop, but she headbutts me to keep going most of the time. Then immediately bites again. She never breaks skin. And she isn't declawed, so it's not that. I'm just trying to understand this little weirdo. Whenever she does it I just stop moving until she releases me. This morning she did it and I played my hand down out of reach and she immediately attacked it, so I just blew gently on her face which startled her into letting go.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It might be next to impossible to break a habit that could have been there her whole life. But, try a firm 'no' or a hiss sound and then take your hand away, and do it consistently. It is likely to be related to overstimulation, since she seems to want more after biting you. But, nonetheless, it is a habit I am sure you'd like to break, regardless of the reason.

I don't know how effective it is to blow in her face - that would be similar to doing that to a baby and all it probably does is startle them, take their breath away for a moment, and is likely not correlated to the act because it is kind of scary to them.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a habit. When she bites or seems to be ready to bite, tell her “no biting” and get up and leave immediately. If you are consistent she may start to realize that if she bites she loses your attention.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
At 10 years old, she might be too old to break her biting habit. But then again since she's new to your home, it can't hurt to try.

One idea is to say "owwwww" in a high pitched tone when she bites you, or to hiss at her. Both of those are ways cats let another cat know they are hurting them, so it might work.

Since she doesn't break the skin, it might also be a form of love bites:
How To Deal With Cat "love Bites"?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've always considered these gentle bites that don't break the skin love bites. signs of affection. Most people want to know how to stop the cat from biting hard enough that it hurts or breaks the skin. I trained/startled my Sweet Gum into stopping that by hissing at her. She stopped instantly. However, since then she has placed her fangs on my hand or arm and done a pneumatic hammer with her head. Since the hard bites were playing, we think she's still playing, which is affection, but showing me that she carefully isn't trying to hurt me. affection.