Why Is She Acting Like That?

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
So Skye is been great all day. After she had her dinner she started to run all around the house like CRAZY (never seen her do that before)then liking the side of her right back leg then run again and hide under the bed with her mouth open. She'll come out and keep running and liking like something was itching her and hide again... she wouldn't let me touch her ( it didn't look like playing behavior) so when I finally was able to pet her she still wouldn't let me touch her back side and she'll come out from under the bed and run to hide under another bed.
I've never seen her do that before. No new food introduced, she slept, played and ate like usual... the only new thing is a brand new scratching post I got her today from petsmart.
Every time she Stopped running for a few seconds she'd keep her mouth open and tongue hanging out.
I took a video but couldn't show much in it.
It was scary the way she was acting.
Should I be worried?
Thank you

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
So Skye is been great all day. After she had her dinner she started to run all around the house like CRAZY (never seen her do that before)then liking the side of her right back leg then run again and hide under the bed with her mouth open. She'll come out and keep running and liking like something was itching her and hide again... she wouldn't let me touch her ( it didn't look like playing behavior) so when I finally was able to pet her she still wouldn't let me touch her back side and she'll come out from under the bed and run to hide under another bed.
I've never seen her do that before. No new food introduced, she slept, played and ate like usual... the only new thing is a brand new scratching post I got her today from petsmart.
Every time she Stopped running for a few seconds she'd keep her mouth open and tongue hanging out.
I took a video but couldn't show much in it.
It was scary the way she was acting.
Should I be worried?
Thank you
I couldn't upload the video

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The first thing that comes to mind is the new scratching post, especially if it is not the same as the previous one. But, I don't see how that connects with the back leg. Have you checked the post over to make sure there's nothing on it that she could have hurt herself with? Could it be infested with bugs or something that might have bit her?

Does she go outdoors and could have gotten bit by a tick?

The panting and her mouth open is likely from running herself crazy.

That's all I can come up with. Soon, I know others on this site will see your post and have more to offer than I can. Right now, I hope she has settled down some.

Last edited:

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I couldn't upload the video
Hi. The first thing that comes to mind is the new scratching post, especially if it is not the same as the previous one. But, I don't see how that connects with the back leg. Have you checked the post over to make sure there's nothing on it that she could have hurt herself with? Could it be infested with bugs or something that might have bit her?

Does she go outdoors and could have gotten bit by a tick?

The panting and her mouth open is likely from running herself crazy.

That's all I can come up with. Soon, I know others on this site will see your post and have more to offer than I can. Right now, I hope she has settled down some.
No, she's an indoor only. I am worr9.
I left the house for an hour then I called home and my daughter said that Skye was sitting in her condo and she was petting her, she seemed ok. Now I just got home and she was on her condo... I got closed and as soon as I petted her she took off running, her skin twitched a bit and she hid under the couch.
This is not like her... she's very attached to me.
I'm so worried

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is she still licking at that leg? Are you on new medication, any other changes specifically with you?

Have your daughter interact with her so you can watch. Then, if Skye is fine with her, you can try again.

If she is eating/drinking/using the litter box normally, and doesn't continue to bother that leg, you might have to back off from approaching her this evening. But, keep a close eye on her.

I am sorry, I am truly stumped. Sure wish some other members would pipe in right about now!!

• Purraise
Reactions: GGG

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is she still licking at that leg? Are you on new medication, any other changes specifically with you?

Have your daughter interact with her so you can watch. Then, if Skye is fine with her, you can try again.

If she is eating/drinking/using the litter box normally, and doesn't continue to bother that leg, you might have to back off from approaching her this evening. But, keep a close eye on her.

I am sorry, I am truly stumped. Sure wish some other members would pipe in right about no new medication. She's letting us pet her now but keeps liking.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check the new scratching post very carefully for any protruding nails, staples, or splinters that could hurt her. Also, check her for fleas. I know you said that she is an indoor only cat, but.....

This happened to two of my cats. They have been indoor cats since I adopted them over ten years ago. But. Last month, I noticed one of my cats. was developing bumps and small scabs around her throat area. Having read of food allergies on TCS, particularly to kibble ingredients, I changed to an all meat diet. Much to their delight. A week after the change, my little tortie still had her bumps and scabs. Bought a flea comb on the off chance. First day I checked her with a few strokes done her backbone and behind her ears. No fleas. Bumps/scabs still persist. Two days latter, she jumps up on the sink in my bath room, you know, just in case I want to pet her while shaving. Hot flash! Got the flea comb and gave a much more though combing. Fleas! Not many. But around her throat and down her chest.

An application of Advantage to both cats. Bumps/scabs gone in a few days. Fleas can get into your house on your pants/trousers, and socks and shoes when you walk across the yard.

My apologies for the overly long story.

But I hope you solve the problem. Good luck and keep us updated.

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Check the new scratching post very carefully for any protruding nails, staples, or splinters that could hurt her. Also, check her for fleas. I know you said that she is an indoor only cat, but.....

This happened to two of my cats. They have been indoor cats since I adopted them over ten years ago. But. Last month, I noticed one of my cats. was developing bumps and small scabs around her throat area. Having read of food allergies on TCS, particularly to kibble ingredients, I changed to an all meat diet. Much to their delight. A week after the change, my little tortie still had her bumps and scabs. Bought a flea comb on the off chance. First day I checked her with a few strokes done her backbone and behind her ears. No fleas. Bumps/scabs still persist. Two days latter, she jumps up on the sink in my bath room, you know, just in case I want to pet her while shaving. Hot flash! Got the flea comb and gave a much more though combing. Fleas! Not many. But around her throat and down her chest.

An application of Advantage to both cats. Bumps/scabs gone in a few days. Fleas can get into your house on your pants/trousers, and socks and shoes when you walk across the yard.

Thank you! Now I notice her front leg is twitching.

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think I'm going to take her to the emergency vet
I Wasn't able to take her to the emergency vet tonight but I read an article here about Feline hyperesthesia and from what I read it looked a lot like the way Skye was acting. I am taking here to see her vet tomorrow morning for sure. I got her to eat some food and now she in bed.
Thank you for your reply

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh my. I just read up on it, it is hard to diagnose, but I see what you are saying about the similarities. So, I would expect Skye will be in for a full series of tests. But, better to find out what's going on and treat it, than to let her drive herself crazy.

Please keep us posted.

• Purraise
Reactions: GGG

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my. I just read up on it, it is hard to diagnose, but I see what you are saying about the similarities. So, I would expect Skye will be in for a full series of tests. But, better to find out what's going on and treat it, than to let her drive herself crazy.

Please keep us posted.
She's fine today. I still call the vet and explained what happened, they want me to keep an eye on Skye until Monday and if it happens again they want Skye to be seen. She is back to her normal self... I hope it stays that way
Thank you for your advice yesterday and for checking in today

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Hello, just want to let you know... I took Skye to the vet and you were right, it's fleas... she did a good check up and all is good, so Skye got some flea medication and she's doing much better ( not going crazy and skin twitching) as annoying as fleas could be, I rather that then something serious... the vet couldn't find a flea (skye's fur is pretty thick)but she still got medication for it and I already see a difference in the way she's acting. The only thing is that I have to watch how much she's eating because she's getting a little shabby...
Thank you for your earlier post and help!
:thanks:
G.