Why Is My Shorthair So Fluffy?

kanna.f

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is completely out of curiosity, because I've googled it to try and find information on this but haven't found any. My cat, a brown tabby, is considered a Domestic Shorthair by most (that's what's on the vet paperwork and such). However, he is the fluffiest domestic shorthair cat I have ever encountered (and I have had and met quite a few). By fluffy, I mean his fur is very thick. I will try to insert a few pictures that may or may not be very good at showing what I'm talking about. Basically, I'm wondering if this is a sign he might be mixed with something else, or if this does happen with some domestic shorthairs. A few things about his personality: He is very, very vocal; somewhat playful; doesn't like to be picked up but adores attention. He's on the smaller side, I think, (compared to the other adult cat in our home) at around nine pounds. He will be four in 2018.
Here are some pictures of him!
This one is kind of a weird angle, because usually when you look at him he looks much broader in the shoulders and neck. It's also when he was younger, so that might add to that.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
He’s very cute! I love his wide eyes and expressive face. He probably has a thick, downy undercoat, like my Charlie, who is also a Domestic Shorthair. For your boy, we might consider some American Shorthair influence, because of his square jaw and muscular body. If you really want to know if he actually has some American Shorthair influence, you could get a DNA test done on him.