why is my kitten pooping in one spot on my living room floor?

xenabean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten has had diarrhea.. Not severe. Ive posted previously about this. Anyways, he is only 7 weeks old and knows how to use the litter box, but for some reason i catch him pooping in one specific spot on my living room floor as well. Not all the time so i don't understand what triggers this. I catch him squating and grab him and bring him to the litter box but he did it while i was sleeping too. Any idea why and how to stop this? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At 7 weeks he is the equivalent of a very young human toddler; they just can't make it in time sometimes.  He should outgrow this; but in the meantime I have a few suggestions.  1. Confine him when you cannot directly supervise him.  He is SO young; he really can get into mischief.  When my 2 were small (adopted at 10/11 weeks) we kept them in a large wire dog crate.  it had room for a small litter box in the back, food and water were in the front to keep them clean.  I had a bed and toys in the middle.  2. Add extra small litter boxes around your home.  This is just temporary; until he is bigger and can get to the main box without issue.  3. Bring him to the litter box from time to time; especially after you have fed him.  

I also suggest getting a good enzyme cleaner to thoroughly clean the spots where he has had accidents.  If he can smell that he has gone there before; it may attract him to go again in that spot.  This is true of cats of any age.  

Good luck with your little kitten!