Why is my cat laying in her litterbox?

creaturezoid

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not sure if this is a behavioral issue or a health related one but I am worried about my kitty. She has been laying in her litterbox more frequently lately even right after she poops in it. Sometimes she will lay right outside of the box on the mat also. Another change I just experienced was last night when I tried to handle her, she hissed at me and got fussy then bit my ankle when I set her down. She has NEVER done this to me! I looked stuff up online and I guess it's possible she just got annoyed that I was handling her too much? But it was still really weird and out of character for her.

I did take her to the vet some weeks ago because she peed outside of the litterbox. They told me she had Cocci and gave her an antibiotic injection, and then sent out the culture to see if she needed different medicines depending on the results but they said it came back negative and that she has Cystitis due to stress? They recommended I put her on the Hills c/d urinary stress care diet which should help with stress but she's still just laying in her litterbox. Please let me know your thoughts on this, I am worried!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old is your cat? Did the vet take blood work? What test was run to determine she had cocci(idia) - a stool sample? Did they also do a urinalysis? How did the vet arrive at the conclusion she has cystitis due to stress? I am sorry for so many questions, but it all seems a bit confusing, and knowing the answers to the above questions might help sort out some possible solutions. .

Nonetheless, IMO, she is sick - that is the number one reason for a cat to lay in their litterbox. And, a cat who does not normally bite/hiss when being picked up is another sign of not feeling well. If old enough, she could be experiencing some pain from arthritis, but it would seem there is more than just that going on.

Is she peeing and pooping normally? How is she eating/drinking?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

creaturezoid

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How old is your cat? Did the vet take blood work? What test was run to determine she had cocci(idia) - a stool sample? Did they also do a urinalysis? How did the vet arrive at the conclusion she has cystitis due to stress? I am sorry for so many questions, but it all seems a bit confusing, and knowing the answers to the above questions might help sort out some possible solutions. .

Nonetheless, IMO, she is sick - that is the number one reason for a cat to lay in their litterbox. And, a cat who does not normally bite/hiss when being picked up is another sign of not feeling well.

Is she peeing and pooping normally? How is she eating/drinking?
Sorry I forgot to put her age! She just turned 1 year last week. And I am just as confused and worried - the vet did not take any blood work, just a urine sample. They told me it was positive for cocci when they ran it in their office the day of, but then a week later after it was sent to the lab they told me it came back negative for other bacteria? That's when they told me it's most likely cystitis due to stress. She is peeing/pooping normally, as well as eating/drinking. She also is still playful when she's awake, but I have noticed she's been sleeping in my bedroom more often during the day lately instead of out in the living room which is another change.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, unless something else showed up in her urine sample - which I am guessing it did not, the vet is assuming stress is the issue and ties it to cystitis because she peed outside the litter box. Has she done so again?

Although, it doesn't necessarily have to be stress specifically from cystitis, IMO, since she really isn't having any other peeing issues. There can be stress related issues that cause a cat to sit in their litter box. Any experience that is out of the normal can cause a stress reaction. Some typical examples of experiences that might cause stress can be a change of mealtimes, a change of household routines (change in shift patterns), addition or loss of household members, a perceived 'home invasion' by a neighboring cat or other animal roaming outside, the relocation or movement of furniture within a home or moving home completely to a new environment, as well as many other instances of changes to daily life.

Does any of these examples, or anything close, apply? That is the next step I would take to see where the stress might be coming from.

creaturezoid

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, unless something else showed up in her urine sample - which I am guessing it did not, the vet is assuming stress is the issue and ties it to cystitis because she peed outside the litter box. Has she done so again?

Although, it doesn't necessarily have to be stress specifically from cystitis, IMO, since she really isn't having any other peeing issues. There can be stress related issues that cause a cat to sit in their litter box. Any experience that is out of the normal can cause a stress reaction. Some typical examples of experiences that might cause stress can be a change of mealtimes, a change of household routines (change in shift patterns), addition or loss of household members, a perceived 'home invasion' by a neighboring cat or other animal roaming outside, the relocation or movement of furniture within a home or moving home completely to a new environment, as well as many other instances of changes to daily life.

Does any of these examples, or anything close, apply? That is the next step I would take to see where the stress might be coming from.
She has not peed outside of the litter box since then. And none of those situations really apply except maybe the neighborhood cat that roams around outside often. They're always yowling outside several days a week it seems so maybe that's it? I've been thinking that maybe she doesn't have places to climb up high also so I was planning on buying some cat shelves for her. But the hissing/biting from last night is still weird to me. Is that also a stress symptom or could that be from potential sickness?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The biting/hissing could be either, but given how well she is doing otherwise, I do believe this is related to stress. I would chart when she does her unusual behavior and if it ties to the outside cats - that yowling is enough to drive most cats crazy. If you can make any kind of connection, then it is time to think about what could be done to get those cats away from your property (there are some ideas for that). But, getting her more places to climb for entertainment is bonus any way you look at it.

creaturezoid

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The biting/hissing could be either, but given how well she is doing otherwise, I do believe this is related to stress. I would chart when she does her unusual behavior and if it ties to the outside cats - that yowling is enough to drive most cats crazy. If you can make any kind of connection, then it is time to think about what could be done to get those cats away from your property (there are some ideas for that). But, getting her more places to climb for entertainment is bonus any way you look at it.
When she was in her litter box this morning, the outside cat wasn't around from what I could tell but maybe I just couldn't see it. I made an appointment to the vet for tomorrow morning but now I'm reconsidering taking her and possibly stressing her out even more for nothing. Do you think it's worth getting a second opinion in case there's an undiagnosed issue or is it better to not add that stress to her right now?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is your cat and you know her best. I am just puzzled by the fact that nothing else about her appears to show signs of an illness. She lays occasionally in her litter box, she hissed/bit at you once, but she is eating/drinking/peeing/pooping/playing fine. If you are not satisfied with continuing to try to investigate the 'goings on' around and in your home and try to match those with her litter box behavior, then you should probably have another vet checkup, if for no other reason than your own peace of mind.

Maybe there is something in one of these articles that will ring a bell that I haven't been able to 'ring' for you.
Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
Feline Idiopathic Cystitis – How To Improve Your Cat’s Quality Of Life – TheCatSite Articles

creaturezoid

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is your cat and you know her best. I am just puzzled by the fact that nothing else about her appears to show signs of an illness. She lays occasionally in her litter box, she hissed/bit at you once, but she is eating/drinking/peeing/pooping/playing fine. If you are not satisfied with continuing to try to investigate the 'goings on' around and in your home and try to match those with her litter box behavior, then you should probably have another vet checkup, if for no other reason than your own peace of mind.

Maybe there is something in one of these articles that will ring a bell that I haven't been able to 'ring' for you.
Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
Feline Idiopathic Cystitis – How To Improve Your Cat’s Quality Of Life – TheCatSite Articles
Thank you so much for all the help, I think I'm just gonna try to be more aware of when she goes into her box and see if it's connected to anything because I think the vet will just stress her out even more at the moment. That guide has a lot of good info too, thank you for sharing!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just know that it doesn't necessarily have to be an event that is immediately followed by a trip to the litter box - there could be some time in between, so you are going to have to be on the lookout more or less all the time. At any rate, keep us posted!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would a blood test be warranted? I know she's young and my vet doesn't do blood tests when they're young and otherwise healthy, but something is off. When my older (now deceased) cat started nipping at me when he never did before, I didn't realize it but he was in pain.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Given her age I wouldn't rush to a blood test, unless other issues about her present themselves. From what I can gather at this point there is an outside source. Research that aspect first - again unless other issues come about.