Why is it so hard to put flea meds on kitties necks?

Texaskitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We're been using prescription Revolution for both kitties, it works great, but it's a nightmare getting it on them. Why do they hate it? It doesn't seem that big of a deal, but they act like you're putting napalm on them and they run off before we can get a good dose on them and half the time we don't get it on them at all. I don't get it. We don't have fleas, they're inside cats and there's no evidence of fleas, on them or in the house, but we wanted to keep it on them at sort of a regular schedule, if we could, just in case they have some fleas and we didn't know it. The last time we got Revolution them was 3 months ago. Should we give up or wrap them in a towel like burrito? I don't understand why it bothers them.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
think of it like that drip of water down the back of your neck i guess would be a comparable. with graycie i hold her while th gf kinda uses me as a shield to hide what she is about to do :lol: but cats can turn their heads around pretty far back to try and bite though. so gotta be fast applying the flea meds

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Jamie acts as if it is napalm as well and he was furious at DH for holding him while I applied it. Walked around hissing at him and refused to even take a treat from him. Two ferals outside allow me to walk up and apply it while they eat. Go figure.

I have used the purrito technique for administration of meds and it can be a big help.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jamie acts as if it is napalm as well and he was furious at DH for holding him while I applied it. Walked around hissing at him and refused to even take a treat from him. Two ferals outside allow me to walk up and apply it while they eat. Go figure.

I have used the purrito technique for administration of meds and it can be a big help.
graycie holds a grudge against gf for a bit each timeto its never me guess i can do no wrong in her mind :lol:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many parasite preventatives contain isopropyl alcohol which may sting a bit when applied to the skin.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It contains alcohol and or other ingredients which smell horrible and which are generally irritating to them. In addition these are toxins you are applying- cats are very astute and have learned in most cases to avoid things which are toxic to them so they are not happy with it. Many cats also don’t like to have a hand coming from above near their head.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lol…believe me you’re not alone. I have 12 indoor cats and awhile ago I think we accidentally brought in some fleas from working in the yard so I needed to treat all of them with flea treatment and vacuum the house really good and spray. No matter how hard I try to sneak the cats always seem to know when there’s something going on that they’re not gonna like and they run away. Sometimes I’m able to give it if they’re half asleep and I tried to talk to them softly but there are a couple that I really have to hold down and basically fight with to get it on.
Another thing that is a big chore with me is trying to trim their nails. I only have four or five that I can do it kind of easy but the others forget it. I have to be really careful that the nails don’t start growing back into their skin so it’s not easy.