Why Is It So Hard To Gain Weight?

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm having a really hard time getting Mika to put weight on. We're eating lots of calories (she's recommended to be 8 lbs, so we strive for at least 160 calories daily but she's been averaging around 190-200 calories daily) which is split between wet and dry food. We've added steroids to her medicine regime but all that did was help her to maintain weight. We're trying prednisolone at 2 ml daily for 2 weeks to see if that will help. We haven't tried B-12 shots but realistically I'm confused on how she could be lacking B-12 from all of the food she's eating.

She's been tested for hyperthyroidism and it came back negative. The vets feel pretty positive this isn't parasites. I'm just at a loss. My baby is 5.5 lbs and we've stayed right around here or higher for a month now. I just don't know what we're doing wrong or what I should be looking at. Where do I go from here if the steroid doesn't put weight on? Are B-12 shots really the needed ingredient? What if THOSE don't work?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! You probably know this, but B12 shots have been helpful with cats that have exocrine pancreatic insufficiency, because they're at risk of developing a B12 deficiency.
Vitamin B12 Supplementation in Pets with EPI | petMD
Also, have you looked into probiotics to help her digestive system function as best as it can?
A couple would be Tummyworks, and also Animal Essentials Plant Enzyme and Probiotics

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I was going to suggest digestive enzymes, like Prozyme, which help the absorption of nutrients in their food.

Also, if I haven't already posted on one of your threads about this, try adding an egg yolk a few times a week to her wet food. You can just mix it right in...uncooked is fine. Or if she'll eat it cooked, that's fine too. Some cats like cooked eggs, some don't. If you give it to her uncooked, don't include the whites though. Egg yolks are a great source of not only highly digestible protein, but also calories :yummy:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A couple of mine had B12 shots (both while living with end stage CHF). My understanding is that they give the cat a bit of a boost and help stimulate appetite in the short term. They're my go-to treatment when somebody's not eating, as the boost is often just enough to rekindle their interest in food. In my view, B12 is way less likely to trigger side effects than appetite stimulant meds, so I (and my vets) prefer to try this first, before moving on to actual medications.

As Mika is eating so well, it seems less likely to me that B12 would make a difference to her weight gain. It can't hurt to try, but it may not get you anywhere.

I'm so sorry she's having such a rough time. I hope you find the cause and effective treatment soon :crossfingers::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: