Why is it so hard to find litter boxes that don't seem like they were made for an older kitten or very small cat?

mmdesolate

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm using "under the bed storage containers" as additional litter boxes because most actual litter boxes are so small in length and width.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mmdesolate

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine are storage bins. I agree with them being too small
The bins I'm using are vaguely no-top-litterbox shaped (and a little smaller than I ideally wanted, but storage bins can be surprisingly expensive). I'm wondering if everyone else's cats are way, way smaller than mine or if there's just a hole in the litter box market for boxes that are actually big enough.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm using an actual litter tray (the sort with a sifting layer for pine pellets) for the first time ever, because it takes less room in my very small bathroom. Until recently I used a plastic baby bathtub Mum bought for our cats in the 70s.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use storage contains for all my litter boxes….cut an opening on one end, i don’t use the cover that came with them but I guess you could for kitten or smaller cats. Most of my cats are big. Depends what stores you shop, storage containers can be a lot less than regular litter boxes

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Most of our cats have been on the larger size and we've had luck finding large litter boxes at private, independent pet stores as opposed to the chain pet stores. Depending where you live and what stores are in your area you might want to check some of the private stores. Good luck!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think the average size of cats has increased with better nutrition, yet manufacturers still make things like litter bins and cat trees too small still.

I remember growing up that 6lbs was the average cat and now it's 10lbs I believe. Some sites say 6-10. Even my smaller boys are longer than my childhood cats.

I've had good luck at PetSmart but only when looking for high sided boxes. My one cat prefers a smaller space and uses a corner box.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
The main reason? It is cheaper to manufacture a smaller tray. Most i've seen are about the same size or smaller than a dish pan. Some look exactly like they slapped a different lable on a dishpan even.

A dish pan actualy can be less expensive if you want something the same size as a litter tray.

Personaly I only use covered boxes which are expensive by comparison but Indy won't use an uncovered box. She pees in the middle of the floor if it is uncovered.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use the large 24” box by So Phresh.

Amazon.com

It’s about the limit of what I could handle doing litter changes alone. As it is, I put about 30 lbs. of Dr Elsey’s in there. My girl needs a large box, always has, even as a kitten. She just was never super dexterous in covering in a smaller area.

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds weird, but I bought those really large black mixing bins from a tractor supply store to use as litter pans! They are only $6 (well, with the price of everything probably more now) and are very nice - wide, long, and only 5-6 inches deep. I agree, unless you have a breed that's genetically smaller the store litter pans don't "measure up." 😜

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember growing up that 6lbs was the average cat and now it's 10lbs I believe. Some sites say 6-10. Even my smaller boys are longer than my childhood cats.
That's really interesting. I never heard of this before.

10 lbs even seems on the small side to me, although I don't have experience with many different cats. Willy looks physically smaller than most cats I've encountered. My vet even told me that his growth was very likely stunted from being severely starved while lost outside before age 1. But his normal weight is about 9.5 lbs (he's about 10.25 lbs right now, but he is slightly overweight).

It would make sense that better food and knowledge of nutrition would lead to an increase, on average.

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Nature's Miracle triangular litter box. It's 26" by 24" and 10" high. My almost 18 lb cat has no troulbe using it. It runs around $25 and both Amazon and Chewy carry it.