Why is he such a weirdo?

scarlettleia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Percival. He's an oddball. He's been an oddball since the day we got him and we've been tirelessly trying to figure out what is up with him, or if we've done something wrong somewhere.

He is a year and a half, neutered male tabby, in a household with a 4 year old female who he gets on with like a charm.

However, he seems constantly anxious. Every little noise spooks him, even as little as putting on a russley coat. He's absolutely fine seconds after he's spooked and he's not scared of us, though he prefers not to be picked up or approached quickly a lot of the time. He plays gently with us without teeth and claws and will rub his head against our hands and give us head butts so long it's entirely his choice to do so, which is fine. He also sleeps with us and the lady cat, so he's definitely not afraid of us specifically.

It sounds completely crazy but he also appears to hallucinate, chasing things in the air which arnt there until he spooks himself to the point where his tail poofs up and he charges off.

He's incredibly vocal, almost seeming to sing with how much he chirps when he gets going, it's never pained or distressed vocalisation but just repeated singy chirps whenever he's over stimulated.

He eats and sleeps and drinks and poops like a champ, and we've checked him for fleas and ticks.

We're mostly concerned about his stress levels, because it really doesn't seem healthy for him to be so easily sensitive to his surroundings.
Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this, or what we can do different to try and calm him down a bit, or is he just simply an oddball?

Also not sure if it's relevant but he seems to have pika too, obsessively chewing on faux plants (never real ones, and never enough that they break, he just seems to need to put the plastic in his mouth and chew) this is usually after an episode of craziness.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats are just very sensitive to noises, sudden movement and humans who may potentially grab then. It’s more caution than anxiety in my opinion, and something he will likely not outgrow. But as long as he is happy and playful the rest of the time I wouldn’t worry about it. As far as spooking himself or seeing things that aren’t there, that is just part of cat play and silliness. Puffed out fur, zooming from room to room and even howling at imaginary playmates is pretty normal and seriously cute. The chewing also seems to be part of his play and high energy level. You might try giving him a cardboard box to chew in and play with. My girl also likes toilet paper or paper towel cardboard rolls to tear apart.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't think it is much of an issue, if he so quickly returns to normal after being taken aback by some sort of noise. But, you could try some cat music to see if that might help him to relax - and maybe it would overshadow other noises. David Teie's Music for Cats which is on Prime and Spotify, Cat In My Arms on Spotify and elsewhere, and RelaxMyCat. Members on this site swear by it for helping to calm a cat! Perhaps, add some calming diffusers - such as Feliway (there are others if you search the internet for them).

And, I agree, it sounds like Percival is entertaining himself with all of his 'antics'. More play time with him might help that a bit. Squirrel and/or bird videos for extra entertainment? Interactive toys (some are automated)? I watch young squirrels outside all the time that play with the leaves/twigs on bushes for their own entertainment - it is quite entertaining to me as well!

Feeby likes to chew on plastic bags and little metal items, like the rings on a purse handle. She really doesn't go after any other non-food items. So, I am of the opinion it doesn't equate to pica, as I believe she would be munching on a lot of other things as well. I think the same thing probably applies to Percival.

Maybe some ideas in this TCS article to help Percival if part of this behavior relates to boredom?
Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips) – TheCatSite Articles

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

scarlettleia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for your feed back! As long as he seems to be happy and healthy then I'm content, he's just my cute little weirdo.
We did consider that it might be boredom last night as we realised that he really doesn't get much chance to play. Elizabeth is very active and playful and is the dominant cat, so when we play with them (we try to have active focused play for at least an hour a day with them) , she will take over completely and he will stand back, so I suppose that makes sense if he's getting himself all wound up and is unable to get the energy out!