Why is he digging on the hardwood?

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there any reason why my cat suddenly starts digging into my floor and the top of my dresser? They're both made of wood. I looked it up to try and find answers but it was all like trying to cover their food or a toy or water or something. It's not the same for Gizmo. He just out of nowhere breaks into this need to dig. It's really funny and I'm not concerned or mad at him or anything, just curious. I notice he does a lot either before or during when he gets zoomies. Is it just an outlet for his energy? I also noticed he doesn't use his claws, just his paw pads! Maybe he likes the feeling of it?
When he's done digging he usually lays down or starts scooting on his belly.

(also, if you're wondering about the cat and garlic situation everyone is fine! I forgot to reply for a couple of weeks and then felt bad bumping it to say they're ok so I just let it sit there and I still feel bad about not updating that everyone is alright! <3)

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Has he ever thrown up or had an accident in the area he’s digging?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He has not, as far as I'm aware. He definitely hasn't had any accidents on the dresser, I just got it last week. Whenever he does throw up though I clean it with miracle spray so that it doesn't have a smell/residue.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would have suggested it has something to do with the smell of the dresser since it is new. But, the place(s) where he digs at the floor, is there anything new about those areas? Or, are they the areas where he has thrown up and he can smell the spray you are using?

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nothing new about them, and I don't think he can smell anything on the floor. He doesn't go crazy in other places that he's thrown up/I use the spray.

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the late reply !! He actually has a scratching post that's scroll shaped, a flat one, and vertical ones. :') The scroll one has some kind of carpet texture, the flat one is cardboard, and the vertical ones have rope or something.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the late reply !! He actually has a scratching post that's scroll shaped, a flat one, and vertical ones. :') The scroll one has some kind of carpet texture, the flat one is cardboard, and the vertical ones have rope or something.
My cats have scratching posts too, but they still like to scratch on my window sills, door frames and the kitchen table legs.