Why has he done it for over 2 years?

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mr SOCKOOO continues to put socks in the food bowl or around the bowl. This event happens 5 or 6 days a week every week
Mr SOCKOOO was a rescue and is thought to be about 9 years old @ the time. I have been owned by him for the last 2 years. Why does he continue to play this "sock" game ??????? I have 4 other cats and they all eat well. No competition at all between them from what I can see
He has been putting socks in the food bowl or around the bowl since I got him over 2 years ago..........Any ideas? He is a blue eyed Snow Shoe Siamese cat.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Slave2_Ragdolls

Mr SOCKOOO continues to put socks in the food bowl or around the bowl. This event happens 5 or 6 days a week every week
Mr SOCKOOO was a rescue and is thought to be about 9 years old @ the time. I have been owned by him for the last 2 years. Why does he continue to play this "sock" game ??????? I have 4 other cats and they all eat well. No competition at all between them from what I can see
He has been putting socks in the food bowl or around the bowl since I got him over 2 years ago..........Any ideas? He is a blue eyed Snow Shoe Siamese cat.
I am guessing he is trying to "hide" or bury his excessive food and is using socks to do it. The reason is wild cats will hide excessive food to eat for later. Now wild cats would use grass, sticks, dirt ect. But in your home socks are the most readily available item apparently

I hope that made sense if not I would be glad to clarify.

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Firstly, does Sockoo eat enough? Maybe he doesn't't like the food?

I agree with Cat Person's post. I've seen many cats and dogs cover their food dish with.their blankets when they are not hungry at the clinic.where I work. I would venture to guess it's what my dog does when she tries to hide her bones under my purse. So it won't get taken and to hide their scent.

I think it's cute that Sockoo finds socks and puts them in his food bowl. Awww... probably not cute to you though.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jack drowns his "kill" in the water bowl, at least thats how it appears, he puts toys in there all the time.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have had any number of cats who would put toys, etc., in or near their food or water bowl. I just assumed that was where they were when they got tired of playing and heard the food or water calling them.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a cat that used to drag socks and underwear out of the laundry bin and drag them around the house as if they were his "kill". If SOCKOOO thinks that socks are something he killed, perhaps that's why he drags them to his food bowl - that's where he eats!

I hope at least they are clean socks. And at least its not underwear!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I had a cat that used to drag socks and underwear out of the laundry bin and drag them around the house as if they were his "kill". If SOCKOOO thinks that socks are something he killed, perhaps that's why he drags them to his food bowl - that's where he eats!

I hope at least they are clean socks. And at least its not underwear!
I keep socks on a table. Mr SOCKooo knows where the socks are and jumps on the table to grab the socks in his mouth. He has put up to 6 different socks in the bowl within a 24 hour period at times. He puts the socks in the dry food bowl or around it only. Never the wet food bowl. The thing is.......Mr SOCKooo only eats the wet food......he does not even like the dry food

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Slave2_Ragdolls

I keep socks on a table. Mr SOCKooo knows where the socks are and jumps on the table to grab the socks in his mouth. He has put up to 6 different socks in the bowl within a 24 hour period at times. He puts the socks in the dry food bowl or around it only. Never the wet food bowl. The thing is.......Mr SOCKooo only eats the wet food......he does not even like the dry food
That makes me think that Mr. Sockoooo despite having no intentions of eating the dry food wants to "hide" it. Just like a wild cat would hide excessive food with grass, twigs and dirt. So your domestic cat still has the instinct to do that with his "excessive" food. But he uses socks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat Person

That makes me think that Mr. Sockoooo despite having no intentions of eating the dry food wants to "hide" it. Just like a wild cat would hide excessive food with grass, twigs and dirt. So your domestic cat still has the instinct to do that with his "excessive" food. But he uses socks
Thank you for your opinion......... Mr SOCKoooo is about 12+ years old according to my vet. He is 9.0 pounds and small IMHO. Like I mentioned in my earlier post..........None of my other 4 indoor only cats fight for food here. All 5 are weight in proportion for there own ages. Nobody is overweight at my house