Why doesn't he meow?

ozzy&olly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two 6 month old kittens, Olly and Ozzy. Olly is a real talker, never shuts up
but Ozzy never meows. I think that I have only heard him do it 1 time in the 5 months that I have had them. If he wants your attention, he will jump on your leg and try to climb you. Now this is not comfortable as they are not declawed! He also thinks that biting is a great way to get your attention
He likes to wait for you then just jump on your leg. It would be cute if it didnt' hurt so much. I was just wondering if you had any ideas on why he doesn't meow at all.
Thanks

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats just don't meow.

To stop the trouser climbing, start playing with him with an interactive toy like Da Bird- play several times a day. Little kittens when they want something (like us) they just go for it. They have no idea how much their claws hurt, because their inate behavior tells them when you climb unsheath your claws and just go for it~

cla517

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe Ozzy is just letting Olly do the talking for him! Seriously, my Simon has always been a talker. For a long time Max was not. Now he seems to be getting more talkative. I wonder if he's learning from Simon that if you yell long enough you get what you want!?!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ozzy&olly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Some cats just don't meow.
That is so weird! I don't think that I have ever heard of that before today. Huh.

Thanks for the info.

MA LESTER

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 9 year old cat and he don't meow when he wants something he will state at you or he will bite your feet or when you are in bed asleep he will not you on the nose to wake you up and he has a annoying habit of ripping plastic bags up so I can't have any bags about he will rip the black bag in the bin it is a nightmare

DeweytheLion

The Biggest Smallest Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
Meowing and other cat noises are a concept a lot of scientists are still stumped on
We do know that cats meow to get their mother's attention as kittens, and grow to only meow at people
So the connection between the two, I suppose, is that cats meow to their caregivers, but usually only when they want or need something, such as food, the door to be opened, etc. etc.
Maybe your kitty is just too content :)

loonieluna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 1 year old Luna has never meowed and I've had her since she was 9 weeks old. She meowed only when we would give her the occasional bath but now shes used to them and doesnt meow at all. Also meowed when she got hurt. So she has the capability to meow, she just doesnt. Is it a common thing that cats who don't meow climb/stretch up your leg as an alternate form of communication? Because Luna will do it whenever she wants treats or if she wants me to open a door for her or for pretty much anything that a normal cat would meow for.

bluebirdy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had one kitten that was a perpetural meower (we called him Meow Meow) and another that never meowed at all, until about 7 months old then they switched and one is the meower and the other hardly at all. So it seems they go through waves depending on what they need want. I have one that will meow at me when she can't find her brother until I help her find him (she will also stand beside me and meow to her brother until he comes over so they can rub noses).

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats hardly meow. However one cats has an annoying habit of lightly tapping my legs with his claws right by my knee. Never enough to draw blood. So yes I reward other behaviors and he does it very rarely now. They do sit silently when begging for food because that is what they do when I give them wet food/treats. So your cats are trainable. I bet you if your silent kitty saw your other cat get a treat for meowing in no time you would be complaining that both cats never shut up ;)

houghj3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thermose pretty much only Meows when I come home or when I wake up for work. I liked the thought that Olly was doing the talking, makes sense too me, and I am somewhat jealous that Ozzy doesn't Meow. You probably don't need to worry either way, if Ozzy has an issue one of the two will certainly make you know.