Why does this happen...

big black cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've got an older kitty...probably 6-8 yrs. old...and she routinely pees in places she's not supposed to.  She is completely litter box trained and has been since we got her.  We never had an issue in our apt., but since we moved into our house it's started.  That's been 3-5 yrs. ago, and at first I thought the move just irritated her.  She primarily stays in the basement (which is partially finished) and seems to pee on laundry anytime it ends up on the floor.  I think she is just being an old irritated so-and-so, but my wife thinks she may have an issue.  She is routinely fed and her litter box is routinely cleaned, she lives in a nice place, has her own couch, etc. so I don't see any reason for her to be so tempermental.  Any info is appreciated.  Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you taken her to the Vet to rule out any physical issues going on? This is usually why these behaviors are happening.

She may also feel closed off & ignored by being left down there so much, & is trying to tell you that. Does she have plenty of toys to play with down there? Are there windows for her to look out of?   Do you guys spend some playtime w/ her every day? Give her love & attention? 

It would be sad & boring to be left down there a lot of the time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

big black cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No...actually she had free reign of the house and begin doing it specifically on our bed, which is why I thought it was spite.  Over the last year or two the basement has become primarily hers, as we have a small child and need to keep the door closed due to the stairs, and w/her food/water/litterbox it made sense to make sure she was down there the majority of the time.  Typically after the little one is put to bed we open the door and she has free range again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

big black cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you taken her to the Vet to rule out any physical issues going on? This is usually why these behaviors are happening.

She may also feel closed off & ignored by being left down there so much, & is trying to tell you that. Does she have plenty of toys to play with down there? Are there windows for her to look out of?   Do you guys spend some playtime w/ her every day? Give her love & attention? 

It would be sad & boring to be left down there a lot of the time.
Actually it's been awhile since our last vet visit.  Food and water intake has never changed, and I guess we mostly watch that for issues.  She does have toys and cat scratch pads and stuff, but the windows are probably too high up for her to look out of.  There's a good amount of time she's is out during the day, but w/the door to the basement closed she typically just stays upstairs on or under a bed.

She's never been horribly social, and when people come over she hides for days...when it's just my wife and I she'll come right out and walk up and purr and want to play, but when the baby is around she typically runs off somewhere (I would too if some midget always ran at me yelling KID-DEE).:D

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
A reminder from the mods

FORUM RULES
2. There is always room for different opinions, however, intolerance, bigotry, and religious ridicule will not be tolerated. Additionally, there is no room for flames, slams, and personal vendettas that carry on to the public view.
5. Keep your posts clean and family-friendly. Obscene language will be deleted out of your post as soon as it is noticed. If you continue to post using such language, you will be notified and warned.
6. If you see a potential problem with a posting, please alert a moderator by clicking the little red flag at the bottom of the post - . Do not reprimand other users - let the moderators handle the situation.
7. Always be courteous in your contacts with team members, whether public or private.
There have been a number of posts in this thread that violate one or more of these rules. Those posts have been removed by the moderators. If you see an inappropriate post in the future, please flag it and do not respond in the thread.

We appreciate your cooperation in keeping TCS a friendly site.
The ModSquad

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A reminder from the mods
There have been a number of posts in this thread that violate one or more of these rules. Those posts have been removed by the moderators. If you see an inappropriate post in the future, please flag it and do not respond in the thread.

We appreciate your cooperation in keeping TCS a friendly site.
The ModSquad
"Thank You Goldy!" 

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you think it could be the baby upsetting the cat? Maybe she feels threatened or isn't getting the same amount of attention? Also, since it started since you moved into the house, could she be smelling another animal and be upset? I know cats will 'mark' their owners clothes sheets, ect., if they smell another animal around.