Why does my cat want me to...

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi - Why does my cat want me to look out the window (at street) with him right after his meal (for a few mins)?  Is he gloating at other cats outside that he ate?  I've been trying to figure this out for a while now... he plainly likes it as he purrs... it took me a long time to get that he wanted the company (in the window) just then, (tho' otherwise doesn't ask for it more or less than any cat at other times (tho' we sleep in the same big bed :).  He's almost 9, definitely 'male' tho' neutered, has a girlfriend he visits when we walk daily in the summer, but it's winter and everything's covered with snow so rarely are other cats around.  Is it a cat thing to share ?? after eating, or what?   Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thx, but we've been together most of his life, so are about as bonded as we're likely to be, tho' it's possible I've missed this particular signal for all this time... he's actually terrific, as good a cat/friend as I've ever had and have had lots over decades, though never one alone for so long (I'm thinking he'll be my last, as I'm getting 'up there' and would hate to 'leave' a cat before it was their time, tho I suppose I might get an older shelter one depending on things if he goes first).  It just struck me as a diff. behaviour - tho' he might have been trying to get me to get it for some time without my realizing it - and I'm having visions of cheetahs, etc. up in trees after eating - do they do similar things?

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats change over time, just like people. The way they think and feel about others, as well as themselves, changes over time. My experience with my kitties is they demand a bit more "us" time. It's quite possible that you are just noticing it more because he's the only one now? I've always noticed it, with all of my cats. Some a bit more than others.

And just because you've had him his whole life doesn't mean that you won't be bonded any more than you are. Perhaps in your eyes that is the case, but not necessarily his. I never EVER thought I could bond with my Lucky more than I already had. Every couple years, he proved me wrong. He was sixteen when he died in November, so yeah, lots of proving me wrong. Even with my Sara, she proved me wrong this past year. And Maple, the recluse that lives in my bedroom 75% of the time.

Not sure about cheetahs in trees, to be honest. My cats have never looked out the window after eating. Most of them just go to sleep after eating! I think perhaps he just wants to spend time with you. In his last year or so, Lucky used to come meow at me to come to bed around 9:30 every night if I wasn't already in bed. He could have just gone in there himself, but he wanted me there with him. He insisted. And if I ignored him, about fifteen minutes later, he'd come into my lap and get in my face and meow. This usually ended with me saying, "Ok, ok, I'll go to bed now..."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, thank you!  

He has become a lap cat just this year, but I put it down to his having found a new way to encourage me to feed him, treats or otherwise, and I'm being careful about being suckered, tho' I don't always win :).  They're so food-driven that it's easy to see everything from that viewpoint (and he was a shelter rescue of 6 mos who'd never quite gotten enough food at a time), but I might need to see outside that box.  Thanks again.