Why does my cat vomit on wet food ?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
which Iams did you feed? Fish? Carrageenan? Menadione? Wheat Gluten? Try some Nutro natural choice see if it still happens? Stick to chunky chicken or turkey loaf. See if it continues.
Between both brands they had all those ingredients so it is really hard to say what it is that is making them sick . I am going to stay away from those brands or anything like it ..  They are eating just the Evo kibble now and no problems .. I will try they Nutro Natural Choice though . It will have to be chicken though , they do not like turkey ..
One other kind of Nutro Natural Choice to try might be minced chicken: it's also carrageenan-free, fish-free, and grain-free. Our cats love Nutro Natural Choice, especially the chunky chicken. I'd probably try re-introducing wet food very slowly!

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

One other kind of Nutro Natural Choice to try might be minced chicken: it's also carrageenan-free, fish-free, and grain-free. Our cats love Nutro Natural Choice, especially the chunky chicken. I'd probably try re-introducing wet food very slowly!

Good luck!
Thank you so much , I will do just that . I am going to get one brand only , most likely the Nutro Natural Choice , and give just a little bit a day to start ..

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update :

So I tried two other brands with my cats , BFF ( the only one I could get had chicken & tuna ) but I think they all have fish  & Sheba . 

My cats ate both but  my female vomited several times after .  At least one common ingredient in all of the brands that made her vomit was Menadione Sodium Bisulfate .   Could it be this that  is making her sick ?

My cats seem to only want the so called cheaper brands of can food  but they can't eat them .   She does not vomit AT ALL  on the Evo kibble .  

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
could it be the guar gum?  Maybe the gums bother her.   Its just about in almost all wet cat food.   The only ones that I know of which don't contain it are Tiki cat and Natures Variety.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

could it be the guar gum?  Maybe the gums bother her.   Its just about in almost all wet cat food.   The only ones that I know of which don't contain it are Tiki cat and Natures Variety.
I have no idea  but every wet food she has eaten so far makes her vomit ..  It is so weird .

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just another angle....has anything changed with your water supply? I know you add lots of water to wet food. Maybe there could be a chemical reaction with your water and what comes in the can? I read where a cat suddenly became sick and owners couldn't figure out why. As a last resort, they had their water tested even though they were on city water. Turned out their incoming pipe from the road was contaminated due to road ice treatment was leeching into the pipe. They never noticed a taste or smell. Just a thought if it doesn't turn out to be an allergy.

fluffybeard

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, as lokhismom suggests, try a food without any gums. I don't think it is very common at all for cats to be sensitive to gums, but my cat sure is. It might be worth trying.

I didn't have too much vomiting with him, but he had chronic diarrhea and loose stools for the first 7 months I had him and nothing I or the vet was doing was helping. Gum free food cured it in two days. Nature's variety instinct is good. So is Tiki Cat, but only some Tiki Cat flavors are gum free, including the chicken one, if you want to hold off on fish. So be sure to read the labels if you want to try gum free out.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could it be fish?
Yes , I think that could be one thing but even the FF without fish makes them both sick  . So I think it is a combination of certain ingredients  . I just have to figure out what they are I guess .

Last edited:

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, as lokhismom suggests, try a food without any gums. I don't think it is very common at all for cats to be sensitive to gums, but my cat sure is. It might be worth trying.

I didn't have too much vomiting with him, but he had chronic diarrhea and loose stools for the first 7 months I had him and nothing I or the vet was doing was helping. Gum free food cured it in two days. Nature's variety instinct is good. So is Tiki Cat, but only some Tiki Cat flavors are gum free, including the chicken one, if you want to hold off on fish. So be sure to read the labels if you want to try gum free out.
Yes , my male cat has the diarrhea and female the vomiting . I would love to feed them at least a 50% wet diet if I can find something that does not make them sick .  Tiki Cat is not available locally but I can try the Natures Variety Instinct cans . I have never  fed those before so they may like it .. I will definitely find one without fish ..

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just another angle....has anything changed with your water supply? I know you add lots of water to wet food. Maybe there could be a chemical reaction with your water and what comes in the can? I read where a cat suddenly became sick and owners couldn't figure out why. As a last resort, they had their water tested even though they were on city water. Turned out their incoming pipe from the road was contaminated due to road ice treatment was leeching into the pipe. They never noticed a taste or smell. Just a thought if it doesn't turn out to be an allergy.
I don't think so . We have well water and nobody else is having issues .

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes , my male cat has the diarrhea and female the vomiting . I would love to feed them at least a 50% wet diet if I can find something that does not make them sick .  Tiki Cat is not available locally but I can try the Natures Variety Instinct cans . I have never  fed those before so they may like it .. I will definitely find one without fish ..
If they find it too dense, they might like the pride line instead. Mine eat pride rabbit or duck.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they find it too dense, they might like the pride line instead. Mine eat pride rabbit or duck.
Thank you , I will get a can and see if they like it .

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you happen to be in Portland, The Dog Wash on Forest Avenue sells Tiki Cat: they have all the Hawaii-luau foods.

Mosimom's point about the water is interesting: I grew up on well water (North Norway, Maine, isn't likely to have town water any day soon!) and our water had very high mineral content, particularly copper. Then again, if your cats are okay when they eat dry food and drink tap water out of a bowl, the problem probably isn't the water. We're on Portland water where we live but we only put filtered water in the cats' food (or our own, for that matter) because it seems a little chloriny.

kamitchell6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What is the reasoning for watering down wet food? I'm just an average cat owner (my oldest is 19 and doing well) and never thought to read up on cats since they seemed just fine until I adopted 3 semi-ferals last week.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is the reasoning for watering down wet food? I'm just an average cat owner (my oldest is 19 and doing well) and never thought to read up on cats since they seemed just fine until I adopted 3 semi-ferals last week.
It is mainly just to get extra water into them .  Also my cats prefer the pate formulas a little soupy ..

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you happen to be in Portland, The Dog Wash on Forest Avenue sells Tiki Cat: they have all the Hawaii-luau foods.

Mosimom's point about the water is interesting: I grew up on well water (North Norway, Maine, isn't likely to have town water any day soon!) and our water had very high mineral content, particularly copper. Then again, if your cats are okay when they eat dry food and drink tap water out of a bowl, the problem probably isn't the water. We're on Portland water where we live but we only put filtered water in the cats' food (or our own, for that matter) because it seems a little chloriny.
Yeah ,  they seem to be fine . We also have a water filter on our faucet so that helps a lot ..  It is just a matter of finding that one food ..  If they were not so picky it would not be that much of an issue .

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update :

So I tried two other brands with my cats , BFF ( the only one I could get had chicken & tuna ) but I think they all have fish  & Sheba . 
My cats ate both but  my female vomited several times after .  At least one common ingredient in all of the brands that made her vomit was Menadione Sodium Bisulfate .   Could it be this that  is making her sick ?
My cats seem to only want the so called cheaper brands of can food  but they can't eat them .   She does not vomit AT ALL  on the Evo kibble .  
This is my cat too. Just want to add that your cat is not the only one that seems to throw up after wet. Mine is also extremely picky! Mine doesn't throw up regularly, but when she did it was after wet. Maybe a little after dry once, but she was running fast or ate too fast or something.

I am trying to figure out what I can feed her. She was on Acana, then I got her on a 50/50 diet of Orijen & cheaper grain free food. She doesn't touch the expensive wet food, unfortunately. I believe it was the wet food. I had her on Iams kitten pate because that is all she would eat until she got tired of it, then FF chicken & liver and turkey & giblets. Then, Nutro Natural Choice soft loaf for a little while. Nutro was the only good brand she would touch before she refused it. Then, I had to switch her to Sheba grills. She was eating that for a while with Orijen before she got seriously sick. I did look at the ingredients in case it's the food, but I don't know. I was trying Sheba pates, but she vomited after the beef pate. She might be allergic to beef. I wish I had paid more attention before to exactly which wet foods she threw up. I've read cats can develop allergies after a while of eating the same food, so that could have been the cause previously. Or hairballs since she doesn't like me brushing her. I'm going to try switching to a raw cat food diet like Primal to take that guesswork out. I thought maybe my cat was allergic to guar gum, but that was in some other food she ate before without a problem. Maybe it's something else in the Sheba pates. I accidentally bought a can of turkey pate that I fed her sometime before she got seriously ill. Either a couple days before or the night before. I'm going to try to take notes now.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited:

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is my cat too. Just want to add that your cat is not the only one that seems to throw up after wet. Mine is also extremely picky! Mine doesn't throw up regularly, but when she did it was after wet. Maybe a little after dry once, but she was running fast or ate too fast or something.

I am trying to figure out what I can feed her. She was on Acana, then I got her on a 50/50 diet of Orijen & cheaper grain free food. She doesn't touch the expensive wet food, unfortunately. I believe it was the wet food. I had her on Iams kitten pate because that is all she would eat until she got tired of it, then FF chicken & liver and turkey & giblets. Then, Nutro Natural Choice soft loaf for a little while. Nutro was the only good brand she would touch before she refused it. Then, I had to switch her to Sheba grills. She was eating that for a while with Orijen before she got seriously sick. I did look at the ingredients in case it's the food, but I don't know. I was trying Sheba pates, but she vomited after the beef pate. She might be allergic to beef. I wish I had paid more attention before to exactly which wet foods she threw up. I've read cats can develop allergies after a while of eating the same food, so that could have been the cause previously. Or hairballs since she doesn't like me brushing her. I'm going to try switching to a raw cat food diet like Primal to take that guesswork out. I thought maybe my cat was allergic to guar gum, but that was in some other food she ate before without a problem. Maybe it's something else in the Sheba pates. I accidentally bought a can of turkey pate that I fed her sometime before she got seriously ill. Either a couple days before or the night before. I'm going to try to take notes now.

Best of luck to you!
Thank you for your reply Best of luck to you as well  ..  It is very frustrating . About the only thing I've narrowed it down to is wet food .  I have tried many of the expensive brands but neither cat will touch them ..   My cats will not even go near Sheba for some reason ..   I do know that they did not get sick every single time they ate the FF Classic but  they 5 different flavors so I don't know which ones did not bother them ..