Why does my cat sound quiet and raspy when they first get up?

sparkymema

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Noticed sometimes my cats have a faint meow when they first get up. My littlest one will meow 3-5 times before she finally has a normal sounding one, so I kind of have been wondering do cats just get raspy in the morning like us? They always have fresh water and food so I don't think it's that. Also my cats are 8-10 years old.

I think I'm just paranoid about my cats too much. Hopefully this isn't anything bad and something that happens to other peoples cats too.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, if your cats have had dental cleanings and have been intubated, it's possible their voices have been a little damaged from that. But why just in the morning, I don't know.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe they have some sinus drainage that allows mucus to collect in their throats until they have moved about/eaten/drank enough for it to clear. It would be odd for all your cats to have the same thing caused by a specific allergy, but environmental issues (dust, pollen, mold, etc.) can affect multiple cats without it being a particular allergy.

At their ages, they should be getting routine senior exams with the vet, so perhaps you can bring it up to them at that time and ask what they think - that is assuming you haven't figured out a possible cause before then.