Why does my cat sneeze on me every night?

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is a weird behavior that my cat has been doing for quite awhile, and just curious if anybody knows why she does it!

I rescued Kismet as a one-week old kitten seven years ago -- she was the only surviving kitten out of a litter of two that got abandoned by the mother cat, and she was infested with maggots. Fortunately we got her straightened out, and I bottle fed her until eight weeks old since she didn't have a mother to take care of her anymore. She was always very loud at night, and nothing I tried to put in her bed (water bottles, heating pads, ticking clocks) would keep her quiet, so in order to actually get a little bit of sleep, I would tuck her in under my chin when I would go to bed every night where I couldn't roll on her and hurt her, and she got very used to the arrangement.

So now, seven years later, I perfectly understand why every night when I go to bed, she cuddles up really close to my face and suckles on my shirt. Between the habit when she was just a baby and not having a mother, the suckling makes sense.

What I don't understand is why she sneezes in my face every time before she settles down!

I don't wear any perfumes, so I don't think it's that. I have used different laundry detergents on my clothes and sheets over the years, so I don't think it's that either. She doesn't sneeze literally any other time, even when she is on the bed or near me, it's always when we are settling in to go to sleep.

Are there any other reasons why she might sneeze? Would a cat sneeze to help relax or anything strange like that?

Anyway, just something that has been nagging at me for quite awhile. It's honestly kind of funny, but really... *why*?

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
This is so cute. …Feather pillows? Hand lotions? Soap? Hand sanitizer? Are certain fabrics themselves sneezeworthy? Anyway doesn’t sound like a huge problem, esp. if it’s one sneeze per.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I switch shampoos and soap a lot, so probably not that, but I can see maybe just my hair doing it. I don't use lotions or sanitizers very often either, and I don't think I have feather pillows?

But yeah, it's only one time per night, but it's totally predictable like clockwork. She comes in and I have to hide my face until she sneezes, and then we're good. :lol: