Why Does My Cat Pee on My Boyfriend's Clothes After He's Been Travelling?

jooleeyuh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys!

So my cat is about 2 1/2 years old, male, neutered. He and my boyfriend are like best buds. The cat adores him. Always snuggles with him, comes to him when he calls for him, sleeps on his feet every night, and so on. This year my boyfriend has been travelling a lot for work and whenever he's been gone for longer than a couple of days my cat pees on his clothes. He never pees on my stuff, the carpet, any furniture, or anything else for that matter. In the past it's just been clothes that my boyfriend has left on the floor but this morning he actually peed inside his unpacked suitcase filled with clothes.

My cat only pees on his stuff, nothing else, and it's only when he's been gone. Do you think the cat is stressed because he missed him? Any other ideas for this weird behavior and how to get him to stop? His littler box is fine and he doesn't have any problems otherwise. 

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's having an affair.

With another cat.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat is leaving his mark, literally, on your boyfriend. When your boyfriend comes home your cat is confronted with lots of foreign smells & he can no longer smell himself. Hence the territorial peeing. If I were you, I would not let him near the suitcase in future & tell your man to pick up his clothes! This behavior should be nipped in the bud STAT.

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would definitely make sure your boyfriend doesn't leave his suitcase or clothes out but that may not solve the entire issue. You may also want to try having him keep something in the suitcase that smells like your cat, so that the suitcase doesn't smell "strange" to your cat when he returns.

Some cats develop separation anxiety and may act out in a way that might seem territorial. It can actually be a needy/clingy behavior. I've had cats mark things out of stress or a lack of familiarity after a move or rearranging furniture - any big change can cause this, especially if your boyfriend didn't always used to travel. Your cat might be feeling stressed from your boyfriend being gone and then when he returns your cat feels the need to mark his scent to give himself a sense of security especially if (to your cat) the suitcase or clothes smell different.

Last edited: