Why does my cat only show affection if I'm sitting on my weight bench?

dagger311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, so I come home from work yesterday, open the door to my bedroom, and Indy is sitting in my gaming chair. He climbs to the top and starts meowing. I pet him, and he runs into my workout room and sits under the weight bench. I go in there and sit, and immediately he hops up and starts headbutting my face, and rubbing on me, so I'll pet him.

He's been doing this for a while now, what's so special about that bench? If I get up from the bench, and go to my bed, he'll follow me, but all interactions have to start at that bench. Why?

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It could be that this is where indy feels safest and it might help that from repetative workouts the room will be saturated with yourscent from the hard work and sweat he probably finds this comforting,

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are definitely creatures of habit and he associates the bench with receiving love from you. I agree that he smells your scent on the bench and it gives him comfort, like your chair too, that's probably where he sleeps when you are gone. He's got a 'routine' and is afraid to change it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dagger311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He mainly sleeps in either my younger brothers' top bunk, my chair, or he'll nap in the windowsill if it's warm out.

Wouldn't other things in the room have my scent on them? I wonder why he chose the bench.