Why Does My Cat Only Meow At Me?

CurlyEmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat doesn’t meow at anyone else except me. He’s silent with the rest of the family but as soon as I come into the room at talk to him he will always start meowing back. He meows for everything. He follows me everywhere and doesn’t let me walk because he’s always wrapping around legs or laying on my feet. He sometimes follows other family members but never meowing. Why doesn’t he talk to the other family members but only to me?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CurlyEmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat doesn’t meow at anyone else except me. He’s silent with the rest of the family but as soon as I come into the room at talk to him he will always start meowing back. He meows for everything. He follows me everywhere and doesn’t let me walk because he’s always wrapping around legs or laying on my feet. He sometimes follows other family members but never meowing. Why doesn’t he talk to the other family members but only to me?
Correction: *as soon as I come into the room AND talk to him
Not at, that was a typo.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are very good about using meows to communicate they want something, be it food, attention, to outside, to come back in, whatever. I'm not one to insist cats are super smart, but at least in this area, communicating comes naturally. Since your cat is also basically your stalker, not much doubt about what he wants is there? He wants you to play, pet or pay attention to him. He meows at you because you respond, because your his favorite, and/or your the own he wants to play, pet or pay attention to him.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Meowing is a learned behavior. Cats have learned that meowing at humans gets a reaction. I would assume you get meowed at because you respond to it. My little girl mostly meows at me but she has started meowing at other family members if they don't open a door quick enough, but she just started recently with others after living with us for three years.